Linguaholic

Why I learned English…

I was always interested in languages and began to learn English in my teens – there were a great many reasons for my decision, but perhaps one of the most motivating factors was that English was the language of the world, the gateway, so to speak, to a whole new horizon of people to know and places to visit.

It’s not that common for a person in my country to learn English, and I’ve always thought that rather a pity, because we actually limit ourselves by so turning our backs on the rest of the world. English wasn’t the easiest language to learn, with the grammar and the usage of the words being so different – not to mention the fact that it uses a completely different alphabet, but I persevered, and found ways to practice the language, since my environment offered so few opportunities to do so. I made penfriends around the world, and used to use this opportunity to use my knowledge of the language in practice.

Ultimately, of course, I graduated from university and even went on to earn my living as a translator, and much more, but perhaps I will tell of subsequent linguistic adventures in another topic  :)

And what were your reasons for learning English?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I started learning English in primary school in Poland, I thought that I was pretty good, but when I eventually moved to England it was a huge shock because of how little you actually knew. I could name you all the animals in the local zoo , but I couldn't have a simple phone conversation. Learning English was a matter of survival really when you live in an English speaking country. I think that I picked it up pretty quickly, and I've also gained myself a Northern accent which some people might not see as an advantage  :tongue:

I started learning English during my pre-school in the Philippines as part of the curriculum. But, as I grew up, it became fun to learn. I also ended up writing in our school newspaper and winning some awards in public speaking. In the future, I wanted to write a technical book. I just hope I get all the strength to do it, and a good publisher to print it out.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a conscious effort from me to learn English. My parents are very educated and instilled reading habits in me and encouraged me to read a lot. They made sure that English would never be a problem to me as it's a universal language. I also think my school helped a lot for me to become fluent in English. I'm not an expert but I'm sure I can write and handle myself well when it comes to English.

I learned it because I had to. To be able to survive in developing countries like India, you'll have to be step ahead from the rest and be better than them. I wouldn't be communicating with you guys if it wasn't for English language.

Well, it was a subject in school I had to choose at some vertain point. But besides that I always kept reading English text, I think it's very useful today because all the important things are mainly available in English. I like to update my knowledge and I also appreciate that I can watch most movies in the original language.

I learned English because I wanted to communicate! While I use the other langiages I (kind of) know to read articles and sometimes books, English is the only foreign tongue I use to actually speak and get to know people better!

In primary and high school we focused on other languages but I spent some time on private English classes (it was English or piano lessons, so I chose English!  :laugh:) and this gave me the basics.

But later I started blogging, I just wanted to share my hobbies and the things I loved with other people and the only communities I found were in English, so I started practicing. I met wonderful people who helped me on the way, like one very nice lady from England who kindly showed my mistakes and helped me.

I started learning English in my primary school. I am lucky to have that subject in school. I went to other countries and knowing how to speak English is really important. I may not know their native language but through English I can still communicate with them since, most countries are using English as their second language.

I learnt because I was put into a school where they only spoke English. I didn't even know it was a different language until I was about 5 or so. Looking back it almost saddens me that I know a foreign language better than my mother tongue. Practically speaking though, this is one language you need to know simple because it's the world's 'national language', if you get what I mean...

• 1 month later...

I started learning English in my primary school. I am lucky to have that subject in school. I went to other countries and knowing how to speak English is really important. I may not know their native language but through English I can still communicate with them since, most countries are using English as their second language.

Same here! I learned English in my primary school in my country, China. I was lucky because I was able to learn English there because not many schools offered English courses back in the day. Now, English has become one of the main subjects in all the school in China. I was so glad I have learned English in an earlier age.

• 4 years later...