Linguaholic

Memrise for iOs and Android [JAPANESE]

seville009

I got online to check out www.memrise.com because I wanted to learn Japanese. It turns out that they have a great app for iOs! It does require registering a free account but once you download it (I think that it is still free) you can choose from courses through the app or go online, choose what course you want, and then sync it to your device. So far I think it runs awesome and my favorite feature is the ability to download courses for when you aren't connected to a network. Did I mention that there are more courses other than just Japanese? You're gonna be surprised when you see what kind of courses you can take. Check it out and let me know what you all think!

I never really got into Memrise myself, if only because  I already have a very effective routine with Anki, but it's good to hear that it works well for other people.

Actually, one thing I really disliked was the font they use for Japanese. It was okay for kana but most of the time I found kanji to be almost impossible to read.

But I know people who love the font too. I think I might have loved Memrise if it came out a few years earlier.

I never thought about that! I have Hiragana memorized and a little Katakana and when I see Japanese writing, sometimes I don't recognize some of the "letters". And I know that they aren't Kanji. It's kinda of like the lower case letter a in English. The font we see typed out on the computer is not how we write it out. I do have to say that I think other courses would be good to learn conversational Japanese but Memrise is good to learn vocabulary and basic introduction Japanese. Memrise also allows users to create their own courses. It isn't for everyone, but it is worth taking a look at for us noobs.

Oh I absolutely agree that you can't use any of these to learn conversation, which is a bit of a shame!

So is it just the usual computer font now? Or still the weird calligraphic one? Ironically that one would have been closer to the way you handwrite the characters, but was too hard for me to make out the strokes.

I'm really glad to hear you like it though. I might try out the Android version and see how I like it now.

I have never heard or seen this site before, which I think it would be a great idea to learn new languages. I didn't even know there's an app for both IOS and Android OS. I would definitely need to check it out because I have been wanting to learn French for a long time. I would like to take some courses if there is any available on the website. Thank you for the great recommendation!

For sure! I would suggest setting up an account online first then going over the courses and adding some to your list. That way, when you do check it out on your mobile, they will automatically sync for you. Well I know they auto-sync for iOs but I can't say for Android. Be sure to follow me too! My screen name there is the same as here.