Linguaholic

Benefits to learning a new language?

SpringBreeze

Wow there are so many benefits to learning another language.  It is really hard to pick just one benefit.  Well I guess I'll go with my favorite benefit then which is...

You are more diverse and can have more intellectual conversations.  Learning another language can help you to understand better where some of the words in our language come from.

There are a number of benefits to learning a new language, I agree. Although I think the most beneficial would be added to your intellect. It also would help you in some job areas as well. I mean if they needed a good multi language speaker who would they choose? The guy who knows one language or the guy who knows more than one?

In the call center world, you get paid higher if you know another language besides English. Plus, if you know another language, you can tell if people around you start insulting or cursing you in another language, because I noticed that if they don't want the foreigner to hear what they're saying, then they start to speak in their native language in front of the foreigner.

In my experience, knowing another language can open a lot doors, take me as an example.  If it wasn't because I know english, I'd not have been able to live and work in Norway a few years ago as an au pair.  I also landed a quite good online job some years ago, I had to quit tho, because my boss started to take things too personally.  I'd not have been able to get it if it wasn't because I know english.

In my opinion languages can open a lot doors, but it also depends on the language you are learning. If you are learning a very international language like english, then you can rest assured the effort will pay off later.  If you're learning a language that isn't widely spoken in the world just like I am, but you're doing it because you're moving there, then you can also rest assured that move will make your life easier in the new country.

When I was younger I really didn't have much motivation to learn a new language.  I wasn't that interested in being a student to begin with and a new language simply required too much work.  Now I really want to learn them and find it to be of great benefit for improving my overall memory, energy, and learning skills.  The brain has to be exercised in numerous areas or we will lose it as we age.

Learning a new language is another talent you may have. If you had the chance to visit the country of the language that you know it is a great help in the communication aspects from its people. And when you meet someone who is a native of that language you can make the conversations easier and with pride.

Learning a new language like English is like learning a global language. One benefit i could cite is on the area of job employment. Applying a job online is half way won if you know the language of use internationally and that is English.

I think it's a confidence booster! Also I think it's great to learn new things and experience a new culture. It could even help you land a job! You can meet new people and maybe meet the love of your life. I think there are loads of great benefits when you learn a language.

The benefits of learning another language? There are several  .  .  .

1. Fending off dementia.  Research indicates the center of the brain grows because of the acquisition of a new language. So, you stay alert longer and fight off factors that lead to dementia.

2. A wider spectrum of friends. Who are your buddies? You can enlarge your circle of friends if you have the ability to speak to other people who don't know your native tongue.

3. Understanding other cultures. All of the classes I've ever taken to learn a second language involve getting information on a culture different from mine.  You understand better how people from other lands think.

4. More attractiveness to employers. These days, employers are trying to accommodate a variety of customers. So, they are looking for people who speak more than one language.

5. The ability to listen better. Studies indicate people who are bilingual hear better. They distinguish between sounds and words more easily.

The above are just 5 reasons to learn a new language. Of course, there's one that's missing; it's just fun.

• 3 months later...