Linguaholic

'Virtual' Language Partners

dazzlingblue

I have a friend who's had 'language partners' to meet in person so that he can help him/her with English while s/he helped him with his Korean.  Has anyone tried finding a 'virtual' language partner that might be able to support you, either on your speaking or writing ability?  Skype is certainly a way to accomplish that, but I thought that exchanging e-mails might help, too. 

I don't really know too much about language partnerships, so I was just curious!

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have done this a couple of times, and let me tell you isn't as easy as it seems.  Because it's really hard to keep the interest of the other partner, even if you offer help to learn or study your mother language. In the end things get awkward, and die out.  The best way to  pick good language partners online is picking other students who are looking for someone to practice the language with.  That way both of you win something whenever you start a conversation online.

I'd not recommend a language exchange with a native, because keeping the interest up will be hard.

I haven't tried doing this yet, but I think that if you would chat in area specific chatrooms in MIRC or ask for help in Yahoo Answers or in language forums like this, then the chances of finding a virtual language partner is very likely.

I have done this a couple of times, and let me tell you isn't as easy as it seems.  Because it's really hard to keep the interest of the other partner, even if you offer help to learn or study your mother language. In the end things get awkward, and die out.  The best way to  pick good language partners online is picking other students who are looking for someone to practice the language with.  That way both of you win something whenever you start a conversation online.

I'd not recommend a language exchange with a native, because keeping the interest up will be hard.

Thanx for the feed back Trellum, a language exchange might be the way to go.....

I've tried this on a site that was more of a social networking site than a language site, but it was a feature nonetheless. It was pretty amusing, but I found it a little hard to keep up. Not only is it difficult to schedule meetings due to offline responsibilities, but having to keep up with the different time zones is also challenging. It's probably a lot easier to accomplish if both people were on the same level of conviction to learn, though.

I have my doubts that this can be effective in learning a language fast owing to the fact that neither of the parties involved are well-versed in the vocabulary of the language you're learning. Unless you're an intermediate learner, having a virtual learning partner IMO, wouldn't be helpful.

Seems like a great idea to me.  The asynchronous nature of e-mail would mitigate any problems with schedules and timezones.  Partners could respond to each other whenever's convenient for them. 

As for sustaining interest, you just need to find topics both of you can relate to.  I think the easiest one might be simply planning a trip to the native speaker's country.  This way you can ask him any questions you have, and he can tell you about local customs, places of interest, and anything else that would be good to know.  Plus, when you get there, you'll have a friend waiting for you!

• 6 months later...

this is a great idea to me also! i would like to know if there is a website that specializes in pairing people up according to how much of the language they know and if they could pair you up with someone at the same level of the language with you!  :amazed:

I think that it a great idea, but we have a section on the forum exactly for that, to find people that will help us practice the languages you know. If you can help some other language of that person, better.

The first thing that popped in my mind is "online language penpal". But I agree, it does seem difficult maintaining both party's interests in the exchange if you only try to find it randomly on Yahoo Answers and similar sources. I think the language exchange forum is a great solution for this.

I've tried this before, but I've never had a dedicated partner enough to make anything out of it...

I had a penpal in germany once, but at first it took several months for the other person to answer, and eventually the other person just stopped answering. It was a good way of learning, but unfortunately... There was that.

I'm certain that it's a useful method if you have a dedicated partner, but it really demands that you have a dedicated partner... And that you're dedicated yourself too, of course.

If you are interested in finding a 'virtual' language partner, there is now a special section in the forum for just that purpose.

This idea had been discussed in this and other threads and thus by popular demand the Language Exchange Corner was set up.

The link is here:

http://linguaholic.com/language-exchange-corner/

I think it's a great idea and it's one of the advantages of the Internet that it makes these kinds of connections possible.  :)

I have my doubts that this can be effective in learning a language fast owing to the fact that neither of the parties involved are well-versed in the vocabulary of the language you're learning. Unless you're an intermediate learner, having a virtual learning partner IMO, wouldn't be helpful.

It can be really useful, Denis!  Specially for an advanced English student. I know because I've had several language partners from all around the world, they spoke English well and we got to speak about a lot interesting things.  Everything was going smoothly because we both were perceiving the benefits of practicing this language online. 

This is why I believe doing this with a native is never a good idea, because odds are the native speaker will lose interest after a while, unless he wants you to help him practice your mother language from time to time.  If you are lucky to find a native interested in practicing your language... then that is great, but not so likely.

I have never done this but I know it is quite possible. I always regretted not keeping friendly relationship with people who speak other languages that I am interested in because I think it would be a great help.

This sounds so cool!! How do you sign up of a virtual Lanuage Partner?  I have never heard of this before , but I would love to try it. This is a great way to keep motivated and learn from a native speaker.

I didn't know such partnership existed but it does sound interesting, especially if you are eager to learn or have a deadline to achieve your goal. It could also become challenging for some learners too since everyone learn by different methods.

I think we have one here right? I can't seem to find one though. I guess it would be pretty hard since I don't have skype and my internet connection can't handle video calls well. So all I can look for is someone to chat with the old-fashioned way.  :cry:

Like most people say, having at least few same interests is definitely important when you planning to learn a language this way. Otherwise it would be very difficult to maintain the relationship.

Personally I think it is a good idea, more fun, and inexpensive rather than going for the costly language tuition out there.

I have never had a language partner, but it seems like having one can help through learning a new language. Especially a virtual partner as it hard to find a person that is learning the same language as you at the same time you are.