Linguaholic

How do you Text?

Preya_M

I know so many who text and they use "shortcuts", these can bother me a lot when they're over used. I tend to text using full sentences and good punctuation and grammar, but that's just me. How do you text? I like using proper english because I don't want to get too used to shortcuts and forget how to spell certain words all together. What do you think?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I do it in the same fashion as you do. I text my messages writing the words as they should be, unless I need more than the 160-words limit and then I try only to use the more common shortcuts to make the message remain clear.

By saying the above I mean substituting 4 instead of for, 2 rather than to, and some of those well-known shortcuts except "u"  because I really hate this.

I text just as I type; full sentences, full words and punctuation. Most of my friends text "how r u" and "dats good" and "wats up w u" and I have to say, that annoys the hell out of me. It's one of my biggest pet peeves! I can't stand improper grammar and punctuation!

I tend to text using full sentences, good grammar and punctuation.  Mostly because I can't stand using shortcuts, I just don't feel comfortable doing that!  It's part of my obsessive personality, I think, lol.  I just like to express myself in the best and most clear way possible.  That's why I text using full sentences.  After all... what's the rush?  No point in using shortcuts in my opinion... unless you really need to, like when you are in a real rush.  But sadly people nowadays seem to think they're always on a rush, so they over use shortcuts.

I tend to remove the vowels when I text, so they're quite shortened, but they're understandable. Unless I'm using predictive text input or I'm texting formally, I just tend to abbreviate my words. I don't see anything wrong with that, after all, I'm just texting, I'm not writing a formal document.

I try to text the same way I speak - properly. Occasionally, because my phone will not accent certain characters, I will go out of my way to find a word that fits, even if I don't use it often in speech. I avoid abreviations at all costs, and will often refuse to reply anyone who texts me like that (partly because I'm a curmudgeon, partly because I simply can't understand them).

When I answer and send messages on text I don't do shortcut for the words I am writing. The usual type of writing is the one I am doing no abbreviations of words and it had always a complete thought also and I seldom use different characters only the smiley :)

I always use full and proper sentences, regardless of who I'm speaking to, or any text limit. If there is a limit, I will break my message into more than one part. I think proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important in every facet so I go out of my way to ensure I'm a good role model in such situations. The down side of this is that, when I run into friends who type like that, I have a very hard time tolerating it and often can't take them seriously!

Wow, I am amazed so many use proper English when sending a text. I have found no one in my vast circle will do so. Regardless of my attempts (in vain) to try and lure them to the dark (light?) side. The only thing I do happen to use more with time is 'lol'. I found myself using 'hahaha' to supplement it but it seemed sarcastic to the person on the other end.

My phone has a pretty useful setting that finishes what you're typing with common or recent words. Normally I have great spelling and grammar (though my instant messages aren't capitalized or punctuated perfectly). But having a phone that does it for me makes it a lot easier. My friend has a touch phone without any additional settings, and as a result he sends me sloppy messages all the time.

I use proper English regardless of the circumstances, though I will make some of the substitutions as mentioned above.  There are, however, cases where I am able to convey my thoughts "better" by speaking in a less-than-grammatical manner.  Sometimes people find my way of speaking-- a tad "intimidating"... 

I will also try to change the "style" of my language in order to better fit the social context. 

So I end up with problems similar to this,

Bender-Signals-For-Help-Lost-On-An-Island-Futurama.jpg.

I keep abbreviations to a minimum.  I approach texting the same way I approach email.  I spell out the words and use correct grammar and spelling.  With a QWERTY keyboard and autocomplete, it's not difficult to do.  I prefer to do this both for clarity -- after all I do want to be understood! :) --  and also because I don't want to get into poor habits in spelling or grammar. 

When I text, I write it all out. I don't use any shortcuts of the kind. I find it such a pet peeve that people still short cut when phones now have a keyboard embedded into their system! If I know someone has an old phone such as a flip phone, then I would not mind it as much. But the fact that most people have an Andriod or iPhone, they shouldn't be doing shortcuts. *peeved* Hahahaha.

If its to my wife who I text a lot I will use shorthand/abbreviations frequently.  Things like truncating though to tho.  If it is to anyone else I usually spell everything out (swype is very handy for this).

I don't do shorcuts and always try to have a good grammar, but I use acronyms a lot. I don't think that's a bad thing though, it's part of texting culture in my opinion.

Not that I'd be otherwise inclined to say "lol partay @ my house 2nite" either.

One can always do it ironically, although I guess the irony would be lost on a lot of people.

I personally always use correct English when I text. It's a simple matter of habit and nothing more for me.

It's rare for me to text in English, but when I do I always try to write correctly with no abbreviations, possibly because I don't know how to...  :wacky:

When I am texting I don't bother trying to observe fancy grammar rules and such. The point is to get the message across in as few words as possible since I hate typing on the phones keypad. In such instances I take liberties. For example if I want to know whether someone is at home or not I simply type: "home?" Simple and direct.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to do the sms thing which are really short, short messages but now I have gone back to typing the whole words when I send a text. :) I also find it annoying to receive or read sms which you cannot really make out of for they seem to appear more likes codes or something.

I don't text, but I do use the online instant chat in which I have downloaded the app on my phone. I usually try to use complete sentences and good grammars the best I can because I don't want to loose myself on that. I still have to follow the grammar rules and be able to use them ccorrectly, regardless I text or not. I want to make sure people will understand and not think I'm being goofy just because I text or send out instant messages doesn't mean I don't need to warch my grammars or something.

I only text in shorts when I'm in a hurry or busy at work. Otherwise, I'll always stick to full sentences and stay grammatically correct. I feel that if I use shorts too much, it'll affect my ability to write in other mediums as well. Many youngsters struggle to contruct a proper sentence these days because of this.