Linguaholic

Use software to learn a foreign language?

Denis Hard

From time to time, I've come across software which it's claimed, can help you learn a language faster. I don't how that works but before trying to find out I'd like to hear about their [the software's] efficacy. If you've used such software before, would you recommend it's usage for language learning?

I've never personally been able to use learning software but I do know that some programs offer free trials of their software. Give it a try and if you like it then maybe it's worth the investment. It's worth is really dependent upon the kind of learner you are. How do you best learn? My advice would be to find a program with a trial and give it a go! Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it. 

I agree, never pay first for a translation software, see first if it's good enough to do the job by using the trial version. Can't Google Translate suffice your translation needs though, to the point that you still need to purchase a translation software?

I never really needed anything besides a few online courses, and a healthy dose of Google Translate. Paying for dictionary or translation software is pretty pointless, but something like an app for flashcards or more "advanced" language learning techniques could come in handy. There are a lot of them if you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Well in terms of flashcard software, Anki is probably the best around and is completely free for PC and Android (the iOS version isn't free but well worth the money). It uses a well-researched method of flashcard use called a Spaced Repetition System (SRS for short) which shows you your flashcards more or less often based on how well you know them.

Memrise, iKnow and a lot of the other online flashcard sites use the same type of system, but Anki is far more customizable so it can fit your own personal learning habits and pace. That's important I think because the speed at which you learn new vocabulary when you're really new at a language is pretty slow but when you already know a lot of the language it's much easier to learn new words. You don't want to be going too fast when you begin and too slow later on, right?

Quick warning: I've been using Anki for maybe 4 years now and I am probably very biased in its favor. I've recommended it to friends and classmates and they usually find it a little hard to get used to at the beginning, but after a week or two of using it they are quickly converted!

I have actually discovered a website called duolingo which I absolutely love, it's very clean, simple yet bold. And it's easy to understand. I think that is great for learning languages on. I'm using it for Portuguese right.

I used to use a paid app on my smartphone which is great because I get to take it around with me and use it whenever I have downtime. It works by putting up flashcards and tests you through memory and allows you to practice, and there are even little mini-games in place for when you need a break from the seriousness. I think it's pretty good for learning the basics, but nothing will ever engrain a new language to your brain like daily conversation.

Well then guys, instead of buying the software without testing it or them, first, I'll look around [at the recommendations] and others I might find using Google see if they have a trial/demo version and after using it buy the full version if I like how the software works. Nonetheless; I was hoping that they do more than just translate words.

I have never used Software to learn a foreign language. Although I am a fan of using technology to help me learn a foreign language. Ever since I was young I would use different types of translators to help me learn a foreign language better or easier.

I have never used software to learn a new language.  However, I have a friend who swears by Rosetta Stone. She used this program to learn Spanish and speaks well.

I learned Spanish through school, travels and engaging with other Spanish-speaking individuals.  I don't know which path is better. I think it depends on the individual.

I have never used Software to learn a foreign language. Although I am a fan of using technology to help me learn a foreign language. Ever since I was young I would use different types of translators to help me learn a foreign language better or easier.

I never thought about using a translator.  I only know one.  Her native tongue is Persian and she translates this language to English.