Linguaholic

Music Recommendations

Loud

Music helped so much when I was starting to learn English, and I have no idea about any french music artists. Do you guys have any music recommendations that could get me more into French? Could be any genre, as long as it is easy to listen to.

I'm guessing it would be much more pleasent if recommendations were given in a genre you enjoyed most. Are you sure you can't give us any clues? I know quite a bit of French music, and it would be easier for me to recommend something having a better idea of your tastes. 

For you as a beginner in French, i would suggest you to download easy listening songs, because they are very understandable and the French that is used in that genre of music isn't very hard, so i am going to give you two French artists that will help you improve your understanding of French who are Francoise Hardy and Dalida, you can also try Edith Piaf, who is loved by most of French people.

Yes, good old Serge is always a good choice. Jacques Brel is not as tongue-in-cheek, but is also worth looking into.

Some French pop acts with easy lyrics I enjoy are Les Terribles, Dyonisos, Arno, Carla Bruni or Sébastien Tellier.

If you're feeling more confident and up for a challenge, move on to Mylène Farmer and Noir Désir.

For you as a beginner in French, i would suggest you to download easy listening songs, because they are very understandable and the French that is used in that genre of music isn't very hard, so i am going to give you two French artists that will help you improve your understanding of French who are Francoise Hardy and Dalida, you can also try Edith Piaf, who is loved by most of French people.

I already know some basic French (from high school) and want to start getting back into it again. Will these songs be suitable for me to listen to? I think music definitely helps you learn a language more so I would also love to find some great artists I could listen to in my spare time.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to French music, I love old-school singers like Edith Piaf and Enrico Macias. But there is one singer that I liked to listen to before going to French class. It's PAtricia Kaas. Her music is slow and blues-y. I liked that because I could understand her words which made translating them in mind easier.