Linguaholic

Recommend books for ESL learners to see how language is used effectively

I don't think I would recommend Tolkien as an example.  There are a lot of invented words and language in it, and while I love the works, it doesn't seem like a good source.

I think reading in general would be good.  Start with simpler books/children's books and work your way up.  The more you read the better your English will become, and the easier it is to distinguish between correct and incorrect usage in the texts.

I don't think I would recommend Tolkien as an example.  There are a lot of invented words and language in it, and while I love the works, it doesn't seem like a good source.

I think reading in general would be good.  Start with simpler books/children's books and work your way up.  The more you read the better your English will become, and the easier it is to distinguish between correct and incorrect usage in the texts.

Starting with rich english wouldn't be beneficial for ESL learners. I would recommend what rodserd has to say, start with children's books and work your way up.

So would Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland qualify as a children's book a beginner could read, understand and enjoy? Or should one go for fairy tales which tend to be shorter and use simpler language in the stories. I'm just curious guys. There are so many people out there recommending the reading of books without taking into account the level of proficiency the learner has reached in as far as learning a new language is concerned.