Linguaholic

"SWAG"

Eudora13

It is one of the most over used and overrated word in the English dictionary. Everyone seems to use it, whether they know its actual meaning or not. In fact what does it mean? Swag as far as I knew, once upon a time, meant a bunch of flowers, or stolen sack of goods. Now it's used in and for everything.

What is the urban meaning of the word Swag now? Besides describing people who wear slouchy Tshirts and baggy pants. Do you use it a lot?

This is what urban dictionary has to say about the word and I agree.

Orginally from the Scottish slang word "swagger" which was a description of the way some Scots walk (in a swaying motion), the word was then misinterpreted by the English as "the way someone presents themselves". Eg, whether someone looks cool.

The word quickly made its way to the states and has ever since become the catchphrase of douchbags and tools everywhere.

SWAG actually used to be an acronym for "Stuff We All Get". Some number of years ago it was used to describe things people used to get for free. Nowadays it's been re-purposed as a shortening of "swagger". Funny how one word gets recycled for a new catch phrase. It will have its time and pass, like all colloquialisms, and maybe one day we'll see it used anew for something completely different.

Is this word really in an official dictionary? I'm not talking about the urban dictionary but about a real dictionary that is printed and given out at schools and what not. I would find that very hard to belive. Swag was elected one of the most popular youth words here in Germany, but thank god it never made its way into a dictionary.

Haha! That just about sums it up. But from what I can see, everyone seems to have their own versions of the origin of the word. And the present meaning is as stable as the wind. The last line of urban dictionary's definition, I like.

SWAG actually used to be an acronym for "Stuff We All Get". Some number of years ago it was used to describe things people used to get for free. Nowadays it's been re-purposed as a shortening of "swagger". Funny how one word gets recycled for a new catch phrase. It will have its time and pass, like all colloquialisms, and maybe one day we'll see it used anew for something completely different.

The acronym sounds similar to the meaning I knew of swag. It's strange how it acquires a totally different root word - 'swagger' - and then ends up as the catchphrase of the millennium. Freebies to feel-free-to-use-me.

Haha! That just about sums it up. But from what I can see, everyone seems to have their own versions of the origin of the word. And the present meaning is as stable as the wind. The last line of urban dictionary's definition, I like.

Urban dictionary is always hilarious and can be informative on modern culture.

this is a great example of a backronym, a word that is retroactively given an acronym even though it has been in use before that (another fun example is NASA's COLBERT module, which was named after Stephen Colbert and only later given a meaning Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill). 

Swag and other ghetto words are entering the common lexicon because ghetto culture is becoming mainstream with young people (and unfortunately so are gangs and violence as being acceptable behavior).  Slang is always in flux, so in ten years this will change.

At first I thought I was a bit funny, but many people just don't know to limits themselves and end up overusing the word. That's why now I dislike the word, since most of the time the people who use it are just dbags trying to be funny.

Annoying little word which as urban dictionary said, is used to by tools and d-bags. This and YOLO are two words which annoy me to the extent where I feel like slapping anyone who uses it. :grin:

IS it that 'YOLO' is a word? I thought that terribly overused garbage was absolutely an acronym for 'You Only Live Once'. I can see how 'swag' may be considered either or both but 'YOLO'?

IS it that 'YOLO' is a word? I thought that terribly overused garbage was absolutely an acronym for 'You Only Live Once'. I can see how 'swag' may be considered either or both but 'YOLO'?

YOLO is just an acronym.  It started out as such and remains as such.  I agree it is overused and annoying, too, especially when used as an excuse for bad behavior which it often is.  It's not a positive and life affirming statement. 

I agree swag, swagger and SWAG are overused, too.  It's unfortunate when these kinds of catch phrases become so common.  I think they tend to be corrupting as they serve as stand-ins for more expressive and reflective communication. 

It is one of the most over used and overrated word in the English dictionary. Everyone seems to use it, whether they know its actual meaning or not. In fact what does it mean? Swag as far as I knew, once upon a time, meant a bunch of flowers, or stolen sack of goods. Now it's used in and for everything.

What is the urban meaning of the word Swag now? Besides describing people who wear slouchy Tshirts and baggy pants. Do you use it a lot?

I don't use this word excessively, even though it seems to be on everybody's tongues nowadays. I didn't even know that it was in the dictionary. You just saved me the trouble of looking through the lexicon myself (thank you). So it actually means a bunch of flowers or stolen goods, and yet people are using it to mean that they've got "style"...? It just doesn't connect!

Ok. Thanks for the brief etymology. Now I can see the connection. So, if I say that I have swag in Scotland, it's just relating to the way I walk. You know...I would really want to find out who was the first American to adapt this misinterpretation/catchphrase and spread it like wild fire?

Urban dictionary's description of the word is quite accurate, if you listen to most of the songs that have the word "swag" in it, then you will notice a pattern that it refers to how a person presents himself. Like in the case of one of Timbaland's songs titled "Scream", I heard him say, "You like my swag"?

I think a lot of words end up becoming totally different from what it was originally used for, but I agree that it is certainly interesting to see how these words evolve and get integrated into daily use sometimes. "Alien", for example, was probably once used solely for describing something or someone foreign to you, but with the boom of the space travel phenomenon, it's now almost exclusively regarded as a term for outer space beings.

It is a pathetic word. It should not be used and it just makes the speaker sound ridiculous. Urban dictionary is not a dictionary, it is not a "proper" English word avoid the use of it.  :ninja:

True. I don't use it at all either. It's mainly used among teenagers or the much younger generation of people.. I hope that they retire it soon. Even in music.

I could've sworn swag meant "stuff" years ago. For example, "check out how much swag this guy's got" or "be in the draw to win some swag". I can see how it could've developed into it's current UrbanDictionary definition from there though, intertwining with swagger as well. It is completely overused in the media these days and despite myself I find it slipping out of my mouth sometimes! Ironically, of course. ;)