Linguaholic

Your strenghts and weaknesses in english?

Trellum

My mother language is spanish, and yes I've my weaknesses and strenghts in that language as well.  I think most people find that's the case for them as well, because no one is perfect ;)  I was thinking about my weaknesses in enlgish the other day, and I thought is really important to indentify them so maybe I can start working on fixing them later.

First I'd like to start with my weaknesses:

1) I need to learn more phrasal verbs!  Because sometimes I feel I fall short when it comes to describing or talking about things.

2) I need to learn more new words!!!!  My vocabulary is no longer enough, I need to expand it!

3) I have some trouble with some prepositions, specially with  in and on.  Sometimes I'm not sure when is the right time to use them. Sometimes I do... but mostly because I learnt which one is ok to use in certain phrases by memory.  I need to work on this hard!

4) I have serious issues with cooking verbs!  So if I was to translate a cooking recipe from my language to english... it might take me a bit longer than usual! I really need to learn more cooking related verbs and words!

5) Watch out for... the typos!

My strenghts are as follows:

1) I don't require a lot time to memorize new words.

2) I enjoy learning new languages.

3) My punctuation in english isn't bad.

4) I like to write full sentences; I really don't like to use shortcuts at all!

5) I can spell most words right.

Please feel free to add your own :) So maybe by knowing what our weaknesses in this language are, we can actually find a way to work on them  and improve our english language skill ;)

Well, I like the fact that I can adapt and rectify my mistakes quickly. It's hard to believe that I was having a hard time writing a sentence without committing any mistake. On the other hand, oral needs a little bit more improvement.

I have a firm grasp of English. This includes spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. I was much better in high school though. I even won the school spelling bee. I read a lot more back then than I do now, and had a lot more practice with the language. I can notice my vocabulary slipping in variety.

I'm Portuguese so I'd say my strengths are knowing English.  :grin:

Now seriously, I think I speak fairly OK and I can understand well too, so possibly my weakest part should be writing, I'm aware I make a few mistakes, but I'm really trying to correct them and I count with your help to do it.

My strength in English would be in writing. I like using English a lot more in writing than my native language because it affords me much more flexibility and whimsy. When speaking, however, I'm much more able to be descriptive using my native language most of the time, although even then it is rarely enough for me to convey what it is I really am trying to say, so I also usually pepper in a lot of English words and phrases, as does almost everyone else here.

I think my "accent" is the weakest part of my English knowledge. I don't really like having a nondecript accent, I wished my accent was closer to some regional or social variety. I tend to aim for the kind of English I hear on the BBC, but it often comes out forced and sounding unnatural. If I lived in England for a while it might help, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I think I have a good written knowledge of the English language. If I stumble upon a new word I will immediately adapt it to my vocabulary and use it as often as possible, I'm able to start conversations and keep the conversation alive even for a longer time, I find it very easy to understand, comprehend and reproduce texts. Unfortunately I'm not a very good speaker because of my thick German accent. It is kind of hard to pronounce every word in the right way.

My spelling has gotten progressively worse over the last few years.  This is a combination of typing quickly and relying on Word to make things red and angry when I do something wrong.

My sentence structure is also usually overly complex (and I use multiple adverbs and non-traditional things like parentheses).

Yes, the above sentence was an example of both of those points.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in high school I was a very good English student :cool:. As I grow older I find that I read alot less and have to now search my brain for some vocabulary :sad:. I also have a little problems with sentence structuring. However, I usually find out my errors as soon as I make them.

I believe my strengths in English are correct use of grammatical rules, spelling and writing but my weakness is my accent though I possess an neutralized accent, not American nor British. :) One's weaknesses though can still be improved on and it also helps when you are truly interested to learn the language. :)

• 4 years later...
On 11/29/2013 at 11:38 PM, rodserd said:

typing quickly and relying on Word to make things red.

This is also my weakness. Sometimes my fellow language-learners would ask me "Do you use American spelling or British spelling?" and I answered, "I don't know. I just rely on Microsoft Word about my spelling choice. If it shows a red underline, I change to the other option". Pronunciation is also my other weakness.

As for my strength, even though I have bad memory but somehow I can memorize vocabularies rather easily. Also, since my main "weapon" is math, I can see grammar patterns as algebraic expressions, really saving my time of understanding things.