Linguaholic

How often do you dream in another language?

True2marie

I mostly dream in English, but I've had numerous dreams in Japanese, which I've also spoken somewhat decently since childhood. I do recall having a few dreams in French, or at least partly in French, especially when I spent a summer in Quebec. Granted, my dream was half-English, half-French since that's how many of the people I was around in Montreal spoke.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had a dream in English, maybe because I only use the language for things formal and I've certainly never had a dream in Spanish or French. My dreams are always in my native language, Jamaican Creole which I consider quite normal since I communicate in that language all throughout the day.

I speak three languages so my dream can either be in Dusun, Malay, or English. I sometimes wonder how that happens especially when it is only a dream but it is also a very interesting thing to know.

I've got used to it though so it never bothers me anymore. I do speak those three languages every single day in real life because my mother speaks Dusun, my husband speaks English, and my neighbours speak Malay and I communicate with them everyday :D

I have often wondered this myself. I sometimes dream in Spanish and I am not that fluent, but the people in my dream speak it perfectly. I don't know how my brain does it. I wonder if it just taps into those telenovela shows I watched as a child.

Oh, the very same thing has happened to me in other languages!  Like for example Chinese, arabic and German.  The people in my dream seem to speak those languages perfectly, but for some reason when I try it I just can't.  Just the other day I had a dream in Hebrew, I tried to use my reduced Hebrew vocabulary, but it seems I was experiencing a serious brain fog in my own dream. It's a bit frustrating when that happens, it happens a lot when I'm trying to pray in Hebrew during a dream.  I'm having that kind of dreams quite often...

It depends on how much I'm using a foreign language. If i constanly use it, I start dreaming in that language too often and even think in that language. Anyway, it's an interesting topic and it's good to know that I'm not the only one!

It's really hard to answer this question because I don't remember my dreams very often, but it has happened for me to dream in English (I am Portuguese) and it's fairly normal as I speak English during the day as well.

I had my first dream in french about a week ago. This is like a sign that I am doing good with learning this new language. I am still having problems with writing but I feel like my progression is great. I have only been studying for a little while and now I am having dreams in that language. So cool! :grin:

Wow... What a question. I must say that the moment you start dreaming in another language you must be officially fluent in that language. I cannot at this time dream of dreaming in another language. I anxiously await that day (or night).

I'm not fluent enough to have a dream in Japanese completely, but sometimes I'll have dreams where people are yelling out random Japanese words to me.

(and according to my roommate I yell out Japanese words in my sleep :ninja:)

I dream in English and Chinese all the time though.

Wow, so is it true that people in general can figure out the language they speak in their dreams? I can never understand what language I am speaking (or being spoken to) in my dreams. It's like I am interacting in a different code with other people, I don't know how to explain it properly. For example: I can understand when someone says "hi" to me in a dream. It's just that I don't understand the language he/she is using to greet me.

I probably sound insane or something, because I am the only one who mentioned that.

I had my first dream in french about a week ago. This is like a sign that I am doing good with learning this new language. I am still having problems with writing but I feel like my progression is great. I have only been studying for a little while and now I am having dreams in that language. So cool! :grin:

Congratulations! I agree that it's probably a good sign that you are already well onto learning the language as it's been integrated into your psyche enough for you to dream of it. I think it's a sign that it's become second nature to you to some degree when you are able to dream about it.

For the last few years I have often dreamed in sign language. I still hear sound in my dreams, but for whatever reason I have taken to using ASL in my dreams a lot. Maybe it's my way of coping with facing the rest of my life in a silent world?  :confused:

I have to say, it does make for an interesting difference in the dream-scape.  :smile:

I have never has a dream where there was another language being spoken in my dream besides English. I've had a dream where I was in Spanish class, but it was just all English being spoken.

Yeah, that happened to me as well, when I was learning French everyday back in university.  I would even dream that I am writing French.  This happened quite often as well when I have an examination the next day.  I guess that's the brain's way of actually helping me assimilate what I've learned so far.

I don't dream per say like in my sleep but I often day dream that i'm a linguist. I often dream however of speaking in French. That has always been a real dream of mine as well.

I did! But not that often though, just on very rare occasions. When I watch foreign films that really got me hooked, I often dream of living in that universe and speaking their language. I one dreamed about speaking Italian but I have no idea what I'm saying, so it lead me to study the language, turns out what I'm saying in my dream was indeed Italian gibberish.

That's interesting. I have never dreamed in another language before as I only speak English fluently. I think it would be pretty cool to hear myself speak another language in a dream. I do remember having a dream though where I couldn't speak English, it was so strange.

• 5 months later...

I gather that dreaming in another language is something quite common, yet it is extraordinary when it happens, I remember having my first dream in Spanish, when I woke up I was really surprised yet satisfied with myself because it's a clear sign of my mastering the language well enough and feeling immersed and comfortable with it.

I haven't experienced dreaming in another language yet. That would be wonderful, though! It would be nice to have a dream that you're in a wonderful place, sophisticated and all that, while speaking in another language. Wouldn't that be sweet?

• 4 weeks later...

There were a couple of occasions where, before I was interested in learning it, my dreams were in Japanese. I would be talking to someone in their language and we understand and joked with one another. The weird thing is, even though my dream self understood, I didn't understand! It's always an odd experience to come across such an event. Makes me wish I could learn another language in my sleep and just wake up fluent in it one day.

That is amazing, basically I dream in English or my native language. Many years back, my English teacher taught us to think in English. He must be a very good teacher because today I think in English and translate it into my mother tongue when needed. It must be so amazing to dream in an exotic language. I hope that I get there someday, congrats on being able to do that!

I have never dreamt in another language. I don't know why but I'm guessing it's because I am not that involved in learning another language. Thus, I cannot really have a dream like that because I do not know what to say and how to say the language in my dream. I can't just guess the words! Lol!

Even when I was trying to learn French and Arabic, I never even dreamt about our class and what were taught. Once I got home, I forgot the new words taught that day. That's why I have to be truly motivated to learn another language, perhaps, when it's needed in my new job for instance. Then, I shall dream about the language!

This happens to me as well. I remember a few dreams which were in English and one in German (mind you, I don't speak German fluently - I am more of a... grammarian type). I guess that our brains get ''wired'' during the day and sometimes it's difficult to separate the dreams from what you'd been doing during the day. Sometimes it happens to me that I start repeating the lectures or things like that. I sometimes dream about the exams (which are always in very odd circumstances).

Our dreams occasionally represent some of our inner thoughts, fears... it's only logical. I did find this strange in the beginning. Now I'm more or less used to it.