Linguaholic

What's the best advice you've ever received about learning a new language.

True2marie

When I first began learning a second language, my teacher encouraged me to talk to as many people as possible in that language.  Although this process was scary, I noticed that it forced me to pull words out of my memory. Also, I began to get more comfortable speaking in the second language.

The best advice that I was ever received when learning a new language would have to be watching any movie or series that you know well in your native tongue in that specific language. Spanish was my second language to learn. In English, I know the movie Beauty and the Beast from start to finish. It's quite sad, really. So when I hear it in Spanish (and even other languages) it helps me connect words together. I then can connect phrases and I could eventually be able to speak the language to the best of my ability.

So overall, watching television series/movies that you are familiar with in a language that you are learning is extremely helpful and great advice.

Listening to foreign music also helps in learning a new language, and I think that it would be much easier to remember what the word or phrase meant, because you can simply repeat the song over and over again until you know the whole translation of the song by heart.

I guess the best advice I've ever recieved is not to rush and take things calmly.  At least that's what my boyfriend told me when I told him I was going to start learning dutch once again.  He told me I should take it very easy :)  Actually he was right, because the more pressure you put on yours, the more affected are your learning skills. The very same thing happens when you feel really stressed, he knows I'm already stressed so he doesn't want to add more to that.

So yeah, this has been one of the best advices (on language learning) I've recieved.  You can tell I haven't recieved that many :P

The best advice I received : "Language learning is not a sprint, it's a marathon. So take your time but be persistent." Learning a language is never easy. Trying to learn a language in a rush is just counter productive and kills all the fun of the process. It took me some time to realize it but now that I've accepted the idea that language learning is an ongoing process, I progress without getting too frustrated.

I think the best advice would be keep practice, even you think you have learned the important concept of the language. I still keep practice my Chinese although it is my native language because some of the words I learned that I have already forgotten. For speaking, writing, and reading,  I would practice each of them. For instance,  I still have to practicing speaking English because I will forget some of the words and pronunciations if I don't practice.

The best advice I've ever received about learning a new language from my husband is that he always tells me that from the start of studying you should focus and continue searching more references form of learning. And also he advice me to regularly watched television drama series because I will easily learn the diction or pronunciation and when to use a certain word in a certain situation. And it really works best for me because in my 6 months stay here in their country I am beginning to make conversations already thereby practicing what I've learned everyday. And I feel great!

The best advice I was given was from a French colleague during my time the chamber of commerce. I was teaching English to French speakers and so worked with a group of French speakers too. Already able to communicate in French I was struggling to understand and follow conversations, constantly translating into English. My dear colleague advised me to start thinking in French. Live your life in French, talk to yourself and understanding will improve.....she was right...I found myself talking to myself in French and since then I have had no problems following a conversation!

The best advice for language learning I got was from my Italian language teacher. He told us not to be shy. Being shy hinders our learning because we don't practice what we learn. We don't speak up because we are scared of committing mistakes and being laughed at. The problem is if we don't commit mistakes we won't be able to identify what we need to improve on.

• 2 months later...

The best advice I received about learning a new language was to be patient and practice as often as I could. I would often get frustrated whenever I can't remember something or just don't know what to do and my daughter would always encourage me in that way, which motivates me a lot.