Linguaholic

Globalization and Language diversity

chiller

The world we live in is becoming more and more globalized. While this process definitely has its perks (for instance, communicating with someone located on the other side of the world has never been easier than today), I'm very anxious about its effect on languages. This process is favouring the rise of some kind of "language imperialism" which, in my opinion, represents a real threat to language diversity. For instance, over the last few years, many English words have somehow become standards in French (marketing, break, boss, feeling, etc.) even though French equivalents exist. I personally wouldn't want to live in a world dominated by 1 or 2 languages only.

What about you? What is your opinion about globalization? Should we fear its consequences over language diversity?

I see absolutely no problem with a single global language (which English is on the right path to achieve). I do agree that would make the field of linguistics rather dull, but the benefits for the human race as a whole would far compensate that. Bad communication of complete lack thereof has been at the heart of human conflict for ages - a single language would highly contribute to diminish it.

I'm not saying that all other languages should fall out of use and be forgotten. The heritage of languages is far too great to be completely forgotten, and it's use could perfectly co-exist with a single global language. It's all a matter of education - people should be brought up in a common world language (ah, but which one?) and the language of their specific community. That's the best way of having the cake and eating it, the way I see it. 

English may be the most widely spoken language in the world at the present [with the number of those learning it projected to gradually increase] but I don't think that it will eventually be 'the-one-language' to rule them all. Communist countries can never permit their people to speak English because then their subjects would learn how they've been deceived. Because of that, I believe there always be that language barrier that separates the people of the world so that the intellectuals may take advantage of their people's ignorance.

• 2 months later...

Yes of course! The world has become globalized and it is definitely going to have an effect on language. In fact this has resulted to some people not knowing how to speak their native language anymore because everyone wants to speak 'English'.

The world we live in is becoming more and more globalized. While this process definitely has its perks (for instance, communicating with someone located on the other side of the world has never been easier than today), I'm very anxious about its effect on languages. This process is favouring the rise of some kind of "language imperialism" which, in my opinion, represents a real threat to language diversity. For instance, over the last few years, many English words have somehow become standards in French (marketing, break, boss, feeling, etc.) even though French equivalents exist. I personally wouldn't want to live in a world dominated by 1 or 2 languages only.

What about you? What is your opinion about globalization? Should we fear its consequences over language diversity?

Yes we should fear its consequences over language diversity. Globalizing is readily increasingly in today's world. This increase have many effects on language both positive and negative, these effects on language in turn  affect the culture of the language in many ways. Language is the substance of culture, without a language people would loose their culture identity. 

Yes of course! The world has become globalized and it is definitely going to have an effect on language. In fact this has resulted to some people not knowing how to speak their native language anymore because everyone wants to speak 'English'.

I see this too and even in cases that are less extreme, we can't deny that English words are already being used with certain languages and it is seen by the locals as a norm. Although, it is refreshing to see that there are still countries like Japan, Sweden, Korea and China who still give precedence to their culture and language over anyone else's, I have to admit.