Linguaholic

Longest Word you have used in conversation

hdejong

discombobulate - To throw into a state of confusion: is a word that i love to use in casual conversation. It is something that i picked up a long time ago and found it to be really nice and practical for me.

Discombobulate is only of my favorite works. I love the way it sounds.

The longest word that I casually use in conversation is nonetheless. I would find a way to use it everyday. My nephews tease people about not talking like a normal person. The funny part is that I hear them using it.

discombobulate - To throw into a state of confusion: is a word that i love to use in casual conversation. It is something that i picked up a long time ago and found it to be really nice and practical for me.

I have used this once or twice in conversation before. My most common lengthy word is promiscuous. 

I once attempted to use 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' in a sentence. Then I realized it was a nonsense word created by children to express approval. THEN I began to question why 'dope' is acceptable but not supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (which is a million times more fun to say). Then I just got depressed... :sad:

Wow, this question really got me thinking... hmmh... hahaha.... i'm actually writing a few of them out right now to see... ok, drum roll please... ;D

Humanitarianism - an ethic of kindness, benevolence, and sympathy extended universally and impartially to all human beings

I don't really keep track of how long words are when I'm using them. Usually, I only realize that they're long when the person I'm speaking to frowns at me. I have been learning to consciously substitute shorter words in order to make what I write and say easier to understand. Some things are hard to substitute because the longer word is more of an euphemism than the shorter replacement. For example, "promiscuous" sounds nicer than some of the alternatives.

I'm really not certain what the longest word I have used in a conversation is, but I imagine it was a doozy.

Me either, nor even a longest word used in my writing.

Nonetheless, procrastination and some of the already mentioned are not that long to me. However I have never used or heard discombobulate before.

Funny thing however is that I have not only tried "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" as a pass-phrase, but another similar nonsense word; "tumbaloflesicodelicomicoso," both of which seems more like tongue twisters  :laugh:

• 4 years later...