Linguaholic

How do you say Happy Thanksgiving in Spanish and other languages?

True2marie

To say Happy Thanksgiving in Jamaican creole is quite simple :grin:  :laugh:. For the most part alot of the English words just have one or few letters added or taken off to create the language.Therefore, we would just say appy  tanksgivin.If you weren't familiar with the language, then I hope youv'e learnt something new :smile:

Interesting question. My 2nd language is also English but oddly enough, it's my most knowledgeable language currently. My first language is Arabic and I have yet to hear how to say it in our language. I know we would probably just say happy holidays as with most of our occasions.

Here in Germany we do not celebrate thanksvgiving, however some families celebrate a holiday quite similar to thanksgiving which is called erntedankfest. So you could roughly translate happy thanksgiving to "fröhliches erntedankfest". Since my second language is in fact English the answer should be obvious. :-)

I'm from the Philippines, and since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, I would have to say that the phrase "Happy Thanksgiving" doesn't have a literal local translation. I now noticed that as a rule, if a holiday isn't celebrated in one's country or if it did not originate in that country, then there is no local translation for it, like Thanksgiving or Ramadan.

Well, we don't really say that, since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving (well, why should we) but since

Thanksgiving is translated to Polish as "Święto Dziękczynienia", I suppose that the proper phrase for "Happy Thanksgiving" is "Szczęśliwego Święta Dziękczynienia!" or "Wesołego Święta Dziękczynienia!".

In Croatian (also Bosnian and Serbian) it would be "Sretan Dan Državnosti!".

Sretan would stand for 'happy', while 'Dan Državnosti' would mean 'the day of the country', which is the closes to Thanksgiving we have here.

I'm Romanian and we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, it's called Ziua Recunostintei in my native language and we would say 'O zi a recunostintei fericita'! This a very interesting topic and I think we should extend it to other terms too :)

• 2 months later...

Jamaican Creole is a language made up of other languages, such as Spanish, French and mostly English. To say happy thanksgiving in Jamaican Creole it would be, appy tanksgivin, not much different from saying it in English.

We don't celebrate thanksgiving in the Philippines. My instructor is against thanksgiving primarily because of the historical basis according to her wherein people were killed and enslaved in the olden times and so on and so forth. We celebrate Christmas though but only to thank God for the blessings and for Jesus saving us from death.

I'm from the Philippines, and since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here, I would have to say that the phrase "Happy Thanksgiving" doesn't have a literal local translation. I now noticed that as a rule, if a holiday isn't celebrated in one's country or if it did not originate in that country, then there is no local translation for it, like Thanksgiving or Ramadan.

Sidney's right. There is no actual translation of Thanksgiving in Filipino. However, if one were to take the word thanksgiving as giving of thanks then I guess you could make a literal translation. So, a literal translation of happy thanksgiving in Filipino would have to be "Maligayang Pagpapasalamat".