Linguaholic

Has another language given you the ability to 'pass' in another culture?

True2marie

Pass is an old school term that refers to a person's ability to pretend to be another nationality without being detected by others.

When I lived in Puerto Rico, people thought I was either a black Puerto Rican or possibly from St. Croix. Unless I spoke English and identified myself as being from the mainland, they had no clue.

This is a funny thing but another language has not given me the ability to pass in another culture, but not even my mother tongue makes pass as my own nationality.

I don't know why people says I have a "curious" accent either speaking one or another of my two languages.

Who knows, probably is the influence of growing up in the middle of a Greek family where nobody spoke Greek nor taught me this this language, but my father had a remarkable Greek accent.

I speak three languages easily well. Like MyDigitalPoint, my accent is implacable. When I speak you're left clueless as to what my nationality is. That's true for all the three languages I speak so I've never 'passed' as a native anywhere.

It depends on the people though. I would think if you can speak the language in that particular country and am able to survive, I think you have 'passed'. I don't think knowing a new language has given me the ability to 'pass' in another culture because there are a lot of areas I still don't understand. Perhaps, I would have to spend the rest of my life living in that particular country then.

Oh yeah!. Here in New Mexico, there are just as many Spanish speakers as there are English ones. How it usually works for me is I am known for speaking English and nobody knows I speak Spanish so they usually compliment my looks or something in Spanish thinking that I can't understand them. It doesn't help that when I say my last name I say it with an English accent  :grin:. My last name is Spanish. Then as time goes by I usually end up speaking Spanish to someone who doesn't speak English and people who haven't heard me speak before think I only speak Spanish. After about a month or two everyone eventually finds out that I speak two languages. It can be lots of fun!

Seville009,

The funniest story I remember while 'passing' is getting a haircut by a beautician who talked about me to other customers in Spanish.  She explained to them how my hair was a mess when I came to her (and it was) and how she made my hair look so much better. The entire time I sat quietly taking in her every word.

No, I do not believe that a person can "pass" in a culture just by learning a new language. Language is a verbal thing and cannot change physical appearances. A Japanese person fluent in English would not look like an American/Caucasian person, and a Korean person fluent in Japanese would not look like a Japanese person. Unless a person's physical appearance looks extremely close to the usual being in the other culture, then the person will "pass."

I haven't been able to travel outside my country yet so I can't say that I can "pass" for another culture, but I think from looks alone I can be mistaken as Spanish, since Filipinos and Hispanic people look alike, for example, Michelle Rodriguez or Mario Lopez.