Linguaholic

Why foreigners sound rude?

I just came across some interesting articles about how English speakers misjudge tourists visiting their countries and label them as 'rude' when in fact, it's their limited knowledge of the language that makes them appear so. For example, according to one writer, asking direct questions makes you sound rude and would result in either getting no answer [to your question] or getting a retort that would knock you off your feet. Hmmm? Your thoughts on this?

English native here; my girlfriend is not a native speaker and I've spent a good amount of time living overseas.

I just came across some interesting articles about how English speakers misjudge tourists visiting their countries and label them as 'rude' when in fact, it's their limited knowledge of the language that makes them appear so.

I think it's not always an issue of being uncomfortable with English, but there can be cultural differences too. The other day I noticed that my girlfriend can come across as a little rude when she answers questions, giving really short, one or two word answers to open-ended questions (which I might have expected a long answer to). I brought it up with her and we realized that in her culture it's weird to give long answers in most cases, as people tend to not talk much about themselves.

For example, according to one writer, asking direct questions makes you sound rude and would result in either getting no answer [to your question] or getting a retort that would knock you off your feet. Hmmm? Your thoughts on this?

It's noticeable, but I don't know that I've ever been deeply offended by them. Usually I find that direct personal questions are worse for me - older, totally unknown Japanese ladies asking when my girlfriend and I will "finally" marry is an example...

Can't say this is a regular occurrence where I live. If anything tourists tend to keep to themselves, but if they have questions people will help. It's not like, some sort of social faux pas to ask strangers for directions or anything.

I don't think they sound rude, and even if foreigners sound rude, people should understand that they're not native speakers, and that they just probably don't know it sounds rude.

I don't understand why direct questions are considered rude though.

I just came across some interesting articles about how English speakers misjudge tourists visiting their countries and label them as 'rude' when in fact, it's their limited knowledge of the language that makes them appear so. For example, according to one writer, asking direct questions makes you sound rude and would result in either getting no answer [to your question] or getting a retort that would knock you off your feet. Hmmm? Your thoughts on this?

As a native speaker I have not typically thought of foreign speakers as "rude" under these circumstances.  If anything, I have great empathy for them.  It's difficult being in a country when you are unfamiliar with the language, culture and customs. 

If anything, I give them a pass as I realize they are probably feeling some anxiety or nervousness which can possibly be perceived as rudeness.

As for direct questions, again, to me that wouldn't be an issue.  If people are unfamiliar with the language, they're doing the best they can to communicate.  To me, that's commendable as it does take courage to do so. 

I don't think simply by asking direct questions would consider rude because there are people who would prefer direct questions rather than indirect. For me, I sometimes like direct questions because I want straight to the point rather than bending into few directions to reach for that question. It depends on how people decipher the meaning of the question, which I think it's possible but not always rude by asking direct questions.

Foreigners may sound rude at times maybe because of their manner of speaking in a way we are not accustomed of. :) Even if they don't really want to come off or appear as mean or rude, they may have expressions that have bad connotations in our country of origin. :) 

I am not sure of that. Wouldn't you expect a tourist to only ask direct questions? I mean their interaction with you is pretty much limited to asking about directions or if there's a good place to eat around or something like that. I don't think you require anything more than a direct question for things like these.

I think people just have to try to be more open-minded and understanding. It's really human tendency to run ahead and judge a matter without looking into the facts. I guess that's why we have tour guides, because they know how to better deal with the tourists who may seemingly sound rude in asking questions, but are actually naive in speaking the native tongue of the country that they are visiting.  :wink: :wink:

• 4 years later...
On 12/1/2013 at 7:56 AM, LauraM said:

If anything, I give them a pass as I realize they are probably feeling some anxiety or nervousness which can possibly be perceived as rudeness.

This. I have a bad habit of keeping my head down when I am walking due to anxiety and nervousness and I hate it when my neighbor (who also happens to be my coworker) judges me as feeling uncomfortable just because of said habit.