Linguaholic

Japanese Cursing!*?NSFW?*

As I was growing up, the first words I learned in Spanish as a five year old were the curse words that I repeated after hearing my grandfather say them. My grandparents had a laugh of course but that sparked my Spanish learning lessons. So to keep a tradition of my own, I'd like to learn some Japanese curses. Can anyone help me out?

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

An interesting way to start learning a language.  :grin:  Here are some that I know:

Shimatta and Kuso - vulgar words but more often used as an expression similar to "damn" or "crap".

Kisama, Teme, Kouno yarou and Kouno ma - extremely rude words you say to the person you are in hostility with, kinda like "b*tch", "bastard", "scum" or "motherf*cker".

Yariman and Saseko - wh*re

Baka and Aho - idi*t

• 1 month later...

There aren't really "curse words" in Japanese per se, but there are words that are considered vulgar. Here's the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Chikusho = pretty much like "damn it!"

Fuzakenna = is more like "don't mess around with me," but I've seen it translated as "don't f*** with me" when the person saying it is really pissed...

Manuke = loser

Hentai, sukebe = pervert

Omae, temee, kisama, anta = all ways of saying 'you' that can be considered extremely rude

Shinjimae, kutabare = go to hell, go die

Even just plain not using formal speech when you're supposed to can be considered incredibly rude, so I wouldn't recommend cursing at Japanese people! But you see a lot of these phrases thrown around in media, even though you shouldn't use them.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was growing up, the first words I learned in Spanish as a five year old were the curse words that I repeated after hearing my grandfather say them. My grandparents had a laugh of course but that sparked my Spanish learning lessons. So to keep a tradition of my own, I'd like to learn some Japanese curses. Can anyone help me out?

Hi there. Well I can help you to improve your technique :smile:. I have some Japanese curses and really bad words with examples:

むこう [mukoo] - bi**ch, as*ole and etc. - as you understand it`s ok to use this word only when someone pissed you off that much:

むこう行け![mukoo ike] - F**k off! (man`s speech)

むこう(に)行ってよ![mukoo ni itte yo] (woman`s speech)

やりまん [yariman] - a w**re, a slut:

やりまん![yariman] - You are the wh*re! (man`s speech)

やりまんおんな [yariman onna] - You are the wh*re! (woman`s speech)

鬼婆 [onibaba] - witch

義理のお母さんは鬼婆だ。

[giri no okaasan wa onibaba da]

My mother-in-law is the devil

キモイ [kimoi] - freak, creep and etc.

あいつは本当にキモイんだから。

[aitsu wa hontoo ni kimoi n dakara]

Oh my god, he/she is so creepy

And couple of really bad words:

きんたま [kintama] - balls

ちんち、まら、ぽこちん [chinchi, mara, pokochin] - dick

ちんけ [chinke] - it`s fu*king bad

うぜーんだよ [uzeendayo] - Fu*k off

貴様 [kisama] - motherf**ker

てめぇー [temee] - ass*ole

しつけーんだよ [sitsukendayo] - leave me the fu**k alone

大嫌い [daikirai] - I hate you

死ね [sine] - go to hell, die

くそくらえ [kusokurae] - eat sh*t

うっせーんだよ [usseendayo] - shut the f**k up

アホカ [ahoka] - what the f**k?

I think that`s enough. Have fun!

From what I see the Japanese language is pretty tame when it comes to foul or vulgar words. There's just not much......uh......variety? In english or chinese, there's a lot of ways for you to get creative with words just to badmouth the others. There's like ten different ways of calling someone a "fool" and that's not counting sarcasm or wordpaly.

And then in Japanese, you get "baka", "yaro", "kimoi" and......well, that's it? Not to mention their usage are pretty limited as well.

But in english we got the f word, the c word, the p word, and we can throw in a few adjectives or verbs to make the phrase more insulting.......and the list goes on and on...... 

From what I see the Japanese language is pretty tame when it comes to foul or vulgar words. There's just not much......uh......variety? In english or chinese, there's a lot of ways for you to get creative with words just to badmouth the others. There's like ten different ways of calling someone a "fool" and that's not counting sarcasm or wordpaly.

And then in Japanese, you get "baka", "yaro", "kimoi" and......well, that's it? Not to mention their usage are pretty limited as well.

But in english we got the f word, the c word, the p word, and we can throw in a few adjectives or verbs to make the phrase more insulting.......and the list goes on and on......

Aha! I agree with you bro. In English, you can even use the f-word as an adjective. Haha. Or, you can add the f-word every after a word. But in Japanese, it is way too different . I guess people in Japan value respect to others more than anything else.

But then again, curses are among the first words that we learn in foreign languages. So to contribute a little, here's the first curse that I learned in Japanese:

Bakero - ~bastard.

Haha. Good luck with your study!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the great responses everyone! I had to disappear for a while but I am back and am very excited about this post. I think growing up cursing worse than a sailor I don't see them as rude, vulgar or even bad so I can understand if the Japanese "curse" words are pretty much just rude or vulgar because I never really saw these words as vulgar or rude but more along the lines of exaggerating an emotion.

• 3 months later...

Kisame and konoyaro.. Are not bad to me.. thats like saying .. Fool  punk...  nothing too bad..

Honestly I grew up in okinawa and lived there for years..  We dont have bad words just fighting words.

But if you said.. F U to sombody they all know what that means.  So basically 50% of japanese people know some sort of english.