Linguaholic

An open question about writing in general

This may come down to personal preferences but that's exactly what I wish to learn from you. How do you determine that a novel, story or any sort of writing is great? Is it the story, the way the writer expresses himself/herself or how effectively they get across their message? For me, great writing is the sort that will grab my attention on the first page and retain it right to the end. What about you?

Good question. I guess for me it's all about the resolution. I have read a few books that, like you put it, grabbed my attention on the first page and retain it right to the end, but that didn't necessarily made them good - a good example are Dan Brown's books, real page-turners, but that I don't exactly consider great works of literature. I like a well-written book, with rich language, interesting phrasical construction, something to test me, like Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. I enjoy a good build-up, and if the end is unsatisfying, then the whole book disapoints me, no matter how well it began.   

I like reading and writing. When I start a new book, I often read the first few pages to see whether or not I should continue to read it. I often find books that I will read from the beginning to the end because they have great storylines. I will keep reading if the story is good, regardless if it's written by my favorite authors. Writing, for instance, I try to finish once I have started because this is how I develop my story.

As a writer myself, good writing for me is one that touches the hearts of not just one reader but of many who were left amazed by your writing style that they often ask if the story was written for them or was it about them. A story, a poem or any form of writing that gives you that lingering effect of you craving for more of the writings of a particular author/writer/poet, one that moves your emotions in a way no other has done before. Something that is written from the heart.  :wink:

If it lefts a massive impression on me, such as motivation, depression, confusion etc. That's when I say that that writing/writer was good. There is no any usual pattern of doing that. For me, it's detailed descriptions to bring the atmosphere, and good character development, as well as tense situations.

How do you determine that a novel, story or any sort of writing is great?

For me, it is impossible to give one rule that fits everything. If a novel is character-centric, it's more important to develop the characters than describe the action; if it's more of a YA action book, the characters are less important; if I'm reading poetry, it sucks regardless (not a poetry fan, hehe!). For non-fiction, the rules are again different.

I think the important thing in any writing is to have a voice, to be clear and to lead the reader through whatever it is you're saying, preferably without making it obvious that you're leading them.

This is a really interesting question and very hard to answer.  To me, there has to be a narrative flow, the characters have to be three dimensional, and the plot has to be sound.

This is something that just varies from work to work. But at it's core every story should be stimulating, it should make you think or in the very least entertain you. The way author uses the language to get his point across is important. Different things fit different words. Hemingway's work won't work if there was a lot of exposition there while the works of H.P. Lovecraft and Tolkien lose a bit of impact if you try to oversimplify them.

Sometimes something completely mindless can be fun too. You wouldn't call it great but if something can be entertaining without trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator then you can at least call it good.

• 1 month later...

For me, great writing is something that makes you read for 2 hours and think for 10 hours. I mean, what is a story without a moral ?

I feel, every novel or a story should have something to take home.  A gripping story, powerful characters. lucid narrative and great message to take home, that's what I call a great novel.

But as they say, what is easy reading is damn hard writing..!

I think it is a combination of both, or sometimes one will overcome the other.  Specifically, a story may interest me but I may tire of the manner it is conveyed.  I may be captivated by the tone and tenor in which an author writes and that may overcome a rather conventional story.  I guess it really depends and I know that is seen as skirting the question.  Bottom line, I know it when a writing grabs me and it is as much a gut reaction as it is being drawn in by the storyline, the story teller or both.

• 2 weeks later...