Linguaholic

Does language shape how you think?

True2marie

I read an interesting NY Times article recently about a 1940s chemical engineer (Benjamin Whorf) who believed a person's mother tongue restricted (or expanded) his or her ability to think certain thoughts.  His theory was featured in a magazine under the title of "Science and Linguistics".  His theory was dismissed after a while because it lacked any support.

What do you think?

Article I read: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I'd have to agree, even if it doesn't turn out to be the sole defining factor of our thought process, it probably contributes a lot to it. Our languages contain our whole history behind it, so just like how history shapes a whole nation's behavior, I suspect so does its language.

Sorry to hear that Benjamin Whorf's theory was dismissed for lack of support :speechless:. I do agree with his theory  though. Living in a country that speaks English and Creole I have noticed that the people that practice English or both languages do much better than those that practice creole only :sad:. I think the topic does calls for further inquiry.

Language does not shape the way i think, but it does influence the way I think. On the other hand though, I think Language does a big job in the thinking department. I mean I think in English and that is my language. So I wonder if I would be able to think without language.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Whorf's theory is somewhat true. :) When we learn another language or use it, our way of thinking is somewhat different when we use our  native tongue. :) It could be because of the different expressions each language teaches us and the manner of thinking in some areas. :)

The theory was wrong. Language can't shape how you think. The fact that you may not be able to express your thoughts about something doesn't mean you're limited by language from thinking further on the subject. You can think in pictures, colors. . .

IMO, it's only feelings that can shape how you think. For example, if you're mad at someone, you rage will directly influence how you think. You'll start hatching schemes of vengeance, etc., etc.

I'm almost certain that language influences the way we perceive things, as well as other cognitive functions. I remember an interesting study about some kind of a tribe that doesn't have a concept of certain things simply because they don't have the necessary linguistic development to explain them, yet it's possible that just the reverse opposite is true, which seems to bring it into a chicken-egg kind of conversation.

The theory was wrong. Language can't shape how you think. The fact that you may not be able to express your thoughts about something doesn't mean you're limited by language from thinking further on the subject. You can think in pictures, colors. . .

IMO, it's only feelings that can shape how you think. For example, if you're mad at someone, you rage will directly influence how you think. You'll start hatching schemes of vengeance, etc., etc.

I like this idea, I think I agree.

It's sort of like how there's a word for something in one language, but not in another. And you find in multi-lingual people they often find it hard to express themselves or describe things because they end up mixing their languages. Some things are easier to explain in one language and others in another.

I'm not sure about this theory, although we usually tend to think when we are speaking in a foreign language because it's not our native tongue as compared to speaking in the language that we grew up with. But language in general doesn't really shape the way we think. It's a different aspect.

I read an interesting NY Times article recently about a 1940s chemical engineer (Benjamin Whorf) who believed a person's mother tongue restricted (or expanded) his or her ability to think certain thoughts.  His theory was featured in a magazine under the title of "Science and Linguistics".  His theory was dismissed after a while because it lacked any support.

What do you think?

Yes I think language can shape how a person think because "Life and death lies in the tongue". What ever a person speak over your life can affect you for the rest of your life. This is  real life not scientific. When ever negative things are spoken over your life it tend to follow you for the rest of your life. In order to pass this you have to prove that person wrong. 

rticle I read: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0