Linguaholic

Most Popular Reasons To Learn a Language?

JoanMcWench

I was considering this question earlier today. I was having a discussion with a group and it seemed like there were many different answers. Someone decided to try (and quit) learning Polish because they wanted to understand their Grandmother when she spoke to her 'old country' pals. Someone else suggested that it was purely for financial reasons that they learned to speak Spanish and would have never considered it otherwise.

I was wondering what is the most cited reason in this forum for learning another language?

I assume you mean learning a language by option, that is, outside of the school curriculum. There are a couple good reasons to do so, both equally valid. The first one is language as a professional skill - learning the language of a foreign workplace, or a source language for translation, perhaps even a dead language for academic purposes. The second is as a hobby, to complement some interest you have in a specific culture or travel destination. My language learning has so far fallen into the first category, but I have many friends who decided to learn specific languages for the second reason.

Learning a new language comes with many benefits in the future. Learning a new language helps the learner become more aware and learn more about the country's culture and surroundings. Learning a new language might even make the learner wish to visit the country one day. Also, learning a new language is terrific in business because if the learner knows more languages, he or she will be able to communicate with more people. More people comes with more business opportunities, and more opportunities comes more money. For me, I learned Korean because I wanted to become fluent, become a freelance translator, and communicate with my relatives. I wanted to learn Chinese because it might become an international language, and it just sounds cool. Also, since China is such a large country and has such a large population, learning Chinese will be a great opportunity for future business.

Well aside from genuine interest, I think that most people learn a new language for practical reasons, like they intend to move to or visit a new country, or they want to take up a job in a call center that deals with foreign customers, because the salary is higher. It really depends on the person and his intent and use for the language.

There are so many reasons to learn a new language, mine right now is moving with my fiance.  Yes, I'm in a rush trying to learn Dutch, but sadly I seem to have zero time to do it.  I feel I have my destiny in my hands, but I work full time every single day... and I don't seem to have time to study Dutch! 

My reason to learn is purely for love, so I can be with the man I love, but gosh... is life hard!  I just work and work every single day!!!! And when I finally find some time off for myself I just want to sit, relax and watch some TV.  My idea of fun isn't sitting and listeing to my Dutch audio course, after a long day of work I just want to lie down and watch TV. After that I just fall asleep! 

A main reason for me is the interest and insight it provides into other people and their nationalities. I just see learning a new language as a really cool and interesting thing to do. On top of this, I love travelling so being able to communicate in an alternative language while travelling is really nice.

I think it is so important to learn a new language I only wish my parents were bilingual and had forced me to do it when I was younger, as it is harder when you are older. I think alot of people learn languages because they move to a new country, that is my reason. I live in Turkey and I don't believe I will be considered a local until I can speak the language. I want to be able to have conversations with my mother-in-law, and not worry if someone speaks English because I know Turkish.

I believe the most common reason one needs/likes to learn a particular language is to be able to understand and speak the language when ever the need arises or when they get to travel or mingle with foreigners. :) Like studying the English language for example, we all know it is the universal language and so we are left with no choice but to learn it. :)

It can open up so many doors for you. At least that's why I picked up my second language. If you think if yourself like a business you're investing in yourself. Having a second, third language opens you up to more people and growing your business. Allows you to gain more territory in foreign countries or a prime candidate to get promoted to a position abroad. There's no limit to what you can do with it.

There are many practical reasons for learning a language as others have mentioned -- e.g. moving to another country, being in a relationship with someone who speaks another language, business and professional reasons, etc.

But there are other reasons as well.  Some people may have a passion for languages and for learning languages which may, in part, stem from an innate ability.  It may also stem from an interest in broadening their understanding of other cultures and societies. 

Regardless of the reason, I do believe that it's crucial to be strongly motivated as learning languages does require much focus, study and work.  Along those same lines I think it's also crucial to have an understanding of why you want to learn the language as this will help in those moments when the going is tough...you'll reflect upon those reasons, and rekindle your passion and enthusiasm.

To enable travel. Basically when I travel I want to be able to converse to some extent in the local language even for politeness. Also coming from an English background, it seems a lot of people learn English is it not respectful to those individuals to learn their language.

• 1 month later...

For me, I learn a new language because I started it in high school and fell in love with it. I don't have a lot of people to communicate with except my daughter and past school friends. However, it has helped me a lot in my travel abroad. I think that it is the same for many people, they simply fell in love with the language and learned it because they thought it could be beneficial in their travel and or communication.

Some people learn a language for Employment or Business related matters or what we call money matters. Some people learn a language for their own interests or just for the fun of it. Most people learn a language because they are forced to or are taught to at an early age.

For me, the most important reason why I will learn a different language is for the purpose of relating with the people of the place where I stay. Presently I stay in a place where their language is different and I'm learning that language so that I can relate with the people better.

I have been an enthusiast when it comes to learning languages. I picked up several languages when I was a kid and I found that I became very popular due to my ability to speak to people who speak other languages. So I guess the most important reason for learning a new language is popularity.