Linguaholic

Favourite English Idioms

dtommy79

"Spitting image" is a cool one, because from what I've heard, it's actually a phonetic perversion of the original saying, "spit and image". "Spit" in this case being the very DNA of a person. It's a cool one because that sort of gradual shift in the way the phrase is spoken makes it really hard to translate as an idiom.

I'd always heard this was a derivation from "spirit and image", since the phrase predates knowledge of things like DNA. But either way it works wonderfully.

"Been there, done that."

You say this when the topic of discussion already happened to you.

Pass the salt.

It's from one of the novel that I've read and since I read it, it somehow resides in my head. It means "get over it or forget about it and move on".

'Close but no cigar' (for when someone is wrong) and 'Give that man a cigar' (for when they're right) are two of mine.

From when carnival games had cigars as small prizes.

Every time I see these, I wonder what their origins are but keep on forgetting to google them. I always it had something to do with Cuba or something (Cuban cigars or something), the actual origin is even more surprising. Cigars as prizes at carnivals? Think of the children!!  :tongue:

I think one of my absolute favorites is "changing horses mid stream" which commonly refers to changing a plan or strategy once it is launched.  Enjoying horseback riding and once being sort of stranded with another rider we crossed a stread that was much deeper than anticipated.  It is such a vivid memory being sort of in the middle of a joint decision, it was tough to figure out to go back or proceed.

• 3 weeks later...

I love "changing the goalposts during the game". For me it has a lot of meaning. It's speaks to me of discipline and perseverance. It's like it's telling you to stick it through and not keep dilly-dallying, not bounce back and forth like a ping pong ball. :wacky:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite idioms are

Actions speak louder than words. I love this idiom mostly because I tend to see many people who boast to have done things which are actually not visible. I as well love the idiom to add fuel to the fire. The idiom warns people who try to use some evil approaches in order to solve problems.

Three idiomatic expressions stand out in my memory. Here goes,

"Strike while the iron is hot"  - Take advantage of a suitable opportunity

"A tall order"  - An order or request difficult to carry out

"Thanks one's lucky stars" - Be grateful

Three idiomatic expressions stand out in my memory. Here goes,

"Strike while the iron is hot"  - Take advantage of a suitable opportunity

It seems we are swimming on the same boat here. I have loved and used this idiom for nearly all of my life. The idiom is quite encouraging and I always make sure whenever I hear of this idiom I Get into business trying to track offers to take advantage of.