Linguaholic

Why japanese?

I'm a huge fan of anime and japanese culture in general, but it has never crossed my mind to actually go for it and learn the language, I just don't know why.  I guess that's mostly because I already have too little time to do it (I still have to learn Dutch).  But everytime I heard someone I know is trying to learn japanese I can't help but to feel so curious.

There are so many reasons to learn this language, but I'd love to hear yours guys :)  I think there aren't that many people out there trying to learn it anyway.  So I'd really like to know why Japanese?  Out of so many languages that you could learn... how do you come you picked this one?

• 2 weeks later...

Like you, I too am a huge fan of the general culture of Japan. Here where I live I know of one person who speaks Japanese but that isn't stopping me. I hope to one day take the wife and child over there to visit and I wouldn't want to go without speaking the language. Also, I already speak Spanish too and being that the syllable combinations sound similar, it seems to be easier for me to pick up. Remembering the syllabaries has proven a bit difficult for me but I still try to study any chance I get.

Hey Seville

I hope you will have the chance to go to Japan with your family! I have been in Japan about 7 years ago and it was absolutely amazing. I do agree that your experience will be much "deeper"if you can speak the language. Most of the people there still do NOT speak English. This definitely holds true for older people (30 and above). I will go to visit Japan my with my family in 2014. I am super-excited to finally go back to "Wonderland - Japan".!

I really like Japanese cinema and have always wanted to know what they were really saying in movies. I started watching stuff like Battle Royale and Suicide Club and wanted to get the full experience. I also like High School of the Dead and other mangas.  :emo:

I really like Japanese cinema and have always wanted to know what they were really saying in movies. I started watching stuff like Battle Royale and Suicide Club and wanted to get the full experience. I also like High School of the Dead and other mangas.  :emo:

Battle Royale, that was a really funny movie hehe. The Japanese title is (jap. バトル・ロワイアル, Batoru rowaiaru). What is Suicide Club about? I never heard about this one.

Mostly because I like their culture very much, learning Japanese is the best way to understand Japan. I love animes and dramas so it would help if I know what they're talking about without using subtitles. I also find the Japanese language to be very elegant and respectful.

Mostly because I like their culture very much, learning Japanese is the best way to understand Japan. I love animes and dramas so it would help if I know what they're talking about without using subtitles. I also find the Japanese language to be very elegant and respectful.

Definitely, Daimashin! Japanese has so many honorific expressions and phrases, it's incredible, but also heard to learn  :santa:

Like most people it all started with anime at first. Then I started watching series and movies and got to a point where I thought to myself "hey I can actually watch anime/movies now without subs, so why not learn it properly?". It seems only logical. Not to mention that I'm a huge fan(this is an understatement actually. I'm fanatic about it :D) of Japan and it's always been my dream to maybe spend few years there. Planning to "master" it in 2014 and hopefully in 2015 when I'm graduating I'll possible try to find a way to realize my dream :)

My reason: I'm Japanese but I don't speak the language  :tongue:

I have to learn it for as long as I am in my Home That I Never Got To Know: Nippon :)

Many people here do not understand English (or even reluctant to have English conversations) so I have to learn Japanese for survival and to complete my identity as a Japanese.

I plan to relocate to another country at some point, but before I leave Japan my goal is to learn Basic Conversational Nihongo at least. That way people abroad won't have to make fun of me for being a Japanese that doesn't know anything about Japan  :wacky:

I'm not really into Japanese anime (except for Studio Ghibli) nor dramas nor movies (except Kaiju films). However, I get great help from learning Japanese proverbs (the Philosopher inside me enjoys them) while I also grow my Nihongo vocabulary by learning Japan's myths and legends. In addition, I get help from my real-life friend Gimmeaflakeman (Youtuber in Japan who makes Japanese Language videos).

Regards ~ Antiquarian.

• 2 weeks later...

I get asked this question a lot of times. To keep it short, I love Japanese technology, specifically transportation. Also, my favorite is Japanese cuisine. Makes me proud of myself when I can read recipe instructions in Japanese.

I actually got started with Japanese when I was in primary school - it's somewhat common in Australian schools (or at least the ones I attended) to have a language class as early as 4th or 5th grade.

It was after learning a little Japanese that I got to know more about the culture and wanted to visit. After finally getting there (at the end of my first year in uni!) I met so many people and had such a great experience that I had no shortage of reasons to keep learning - to keep in touch with my new friends, to learn more about the culture and be ready to go back and experience even more!

These days I'm motivated my a goal to become an interpreter. The ability level required is pretty high, so がんばらなきゃ!

For me, I enjoy watching anime and dramas, so if I can watch it without subtitles, I would be feel very accomplished. Also, I plan to go to Japan for vacation, and it would be very useful to put everything I've learned into practice.