Linguaholic

Do you keep track of how large your vocabulary is?

Hedonologist

One program I used once let you keep track of exactly how many words you knew in a given language. This was based on having learnt the word and being able to recall/use it with a minimal level of error. But with that aside, does anyone keep an approximate record of how many words they know in a given language?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That's an interesting question. I would love to know the "size" of my vocabulary in English / Chinese / French / German. As I study computational linguistics, I might be able to create some nice statistics about the use of vocabulary of a certain person (not only about the size but also what kind of vocabulary a person uses, most frequent words, and and and)

Personally I don't keep track of how large my vocabulary in a second language is, but I realize how limited could be based on what I read.

A simple news reading can be easy, but if I take a technical document or some more complex text, I can realize how many words I don't know the meaning.

Interesting program you tried out though.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say I have a ledger of words or anything like that, but I do keep myself aware of how I'm progressing vocabulary-wise, and I've been especially able to do so since I've been discussing and participating on forums such as these wherein English is the main language used. I think it's much easier to spot and measure when you see the words you often use written out.

Nope, but I guess I know more words in spanish than in english :P  I'm sure as heck my dutch vocabulary is minimal  :laugh: I really wish there was a way to really know how large or small our vocabulary is, but in my opinion our vocabulary is rarely large enough. 

My english might seem good enough, but I actually lack a large vocabulary. I used to have a larger vocabulary (my old job required me to write in enlgish and use a lot new words), but ever since I stopped working there... I have stopped putting an effort on using new words everyday :( 

Fortunately I might be able to get a job soon that will require me to expand my english vocabulary and keep it that way :)

I have never really thought about keeping track of my vocabulary. For me, I like to spend my time learning instead of tracking what I have learned. I know how far I have come when I have a conversation with locals and don't trip up over my words.  :tongue:

I personally don't keep track of how many vocabulary words I have learned and known, which it is hard because some of them that I have already forgotten. I would be when I read a book, I will know how well I have learned in terms of vocabulary words and things like that. I will be happy to be able to communicate with other people, not to mention the numbers of vocabulary words I have learned and known.

I am always eager to learn new words in any language, but I haven't got the faintest idea of how large my vocabulary might be and, quite frankly, I don't see why I should. It sounds terribly pedantic to keep track of such a thing.

Could you share the name with the program with us, please? Sounds like a great tool. I personally never thought about tracking the quantity of my vocabulary, but I often find myself, when learning a new language, looking up what a certain word means when reading. Over time, the amount of words I have to look up keeps decreasing and decreasing, thus signifying that I am improving.

If I had to keep track of the words, I would lose focus on the learning experience. I am sure that I cannot count how many vocabulary words I know.

I did keep track of my son when he started to speak, as he did so at the early age of six months. I was curious as to how early babies spoke on the average.

Very interesting thread. Maybe now that I am learning a new language, I may keep track of it.

I haven't really done that yet, so it would be interesting to know how many words I actually know as of now. I currently really don't have the time to sit down and learn a new language thoroughly, so I'll probably keep track of my word count when I have more time to spend studying.

• 1 month later...

Heavens, no! How could I possibly keep track of how large my vocabulary is? Oh and I'm guilty of being too complacent with my English vocabulary nowadays because I've been concentrating on relearning French and learning Visayan. This is a bad idea though, and I should probably review once in a while as I've noted that I'm more prone to look up English words now compared to before. I used to be able to read lots of heavy novels without having to pick up a dictionary (or using google) but now I've noticed that I have to look up meaning to words that I'm pretty sure I knew before. So keeping track of your vocabulary is probably a good idea even if the language isn't new to you.

Not really, but my vocabulary is being tested when playing Scrabble and sometimes I resort to checking dictionary to find out if a can compose a word with the letters available to me and verify if such word exists. What program is that by the way? I might give it a try.

I remember back in school we used to keep a notebook and jot down any new words we learned. I used to expand my vocabulary by at least 10 words a day.

Sadly, I didn't keep up with the practice once I graduated. I probably should start keeping track of how large my vocabulary is, since I'm working on becoming a writer.