Linguaholic

Do you keep track of how large your vocabulary is?

Hedonologist

It's hard enough remembering the vocabulary, but I wouldn't want to tabulate it for statistic's sake. Even learning a second language I would much rather integrate the words in a real-world setting than try to put a number on how many words I know.

I've never actually thought of keeping track of my vocab. Now hearing about it, I think that I actually want it. It would be a way to kind of keep me wanting to learn more, I guess. What was the program that you used called?

• 1 month later...

I remember back in school we used to keep a notebook and jot down any new words we learned. I used to expand my vocabulary by at least 10 words a day.

That's actually a really good method. I think i'll start it up now.

I don't keep track but I use memrise to remember the words and even then, they list the amount of words and the english meaning (Just a direct translation, no sentences or anything like that).

I don't usually keep track of how large my vocabulary is though I write a lot but through constant reading and using the words that I learned, I know that my vocabulary widens each passing time. Although in writing, at times we need not use highfalutin words to convey the message to the readers but it pays to know more of the synonyms of words as to avoid redundancy.

I never knew that you can keep track of how many words you know in another language, that is interesting.  I'm not sure that knowing the exact total of words would help me or make me feel any better in my studies though.  I keep track based on how much I can read of a story and have it make sense to me.  I am currently navigating Spanish, and can pick up an article and understand the basic meaning of it, even though I still do not know all of the words.