Linguaholic

Easiest method of learning (writing, reading or talking)?

Thrix

Do you think it's easier to learn/improve your language knowledge with writing, reading or talking?

For me, it's a mixture. I expand my knowledge by reading news, posts, discussions (...), write replies to them, or comment on some articles and when talking to my teacher for example.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Definitely it should be a mixed leaning because you won't be totally proficient in such a language otherwise.

I was taught my second language based on writing it and learning grammar rules and so on, but there was a gap before I started to read on this language, and another gap before speaking it.

This way, it was harder put all these elements together and actually I feel like good at writing it, acceptable at reading it, but terrible bad at talking it :(

In learning a new language, all areas must be developed - reading, writing, speaking and even listening skills. Some may have poorer levels in some skills that require them to focus on more time but all skills must be enhanced by constant practice and application. Continuous study is also essential to improve on one's level as time goes by. :)

If you haven't no intention of doing any writing in the language you're learning, then the easiest way to learn would be by speaking it often. With natives. I'd rather be fluent in speech first then get to learning writing and expanding my vocabulary through reading.

It really depends on the language and your level of fluency in it.  For english, I try to use it as much possible.  This is done mostly by writing a lot in english, I also like to speak english with some friends on Skype who also have english as their second language.  Sometimes the latter isn't very helpful,  because the other person might not have the best pronunciation, and might actually confuse you more.  But it still is better than nothing :)

For the language I'm trying things are really different... first I need to learn enough to reinforce what I have learnt.  So far the pimsleur course seems enough, but later on I need to find something better.

I would have to agree that it should be a mix of all 3! Plus if it's possible, immersion around the people who speak that particular language is a must so that you can also pick up the proper sentence construction, pronunciation, and grammar.

• 1 month later...

When learning a new language it is best to incorporate all the methods of learning in order to be successful. Focusing on one method would also take more time to learn the language. However, I think that if you do not want to go through the formalities of learning the language it would be best to have oral communication with natives of that language on a regular basis or live among them.

Using all the techniques including watching videos and listening to music and audio tapes can really help you in learning the language you choose. Most of us employ the basic tools for learning which is reading, talking and writing which is a very common yet effective way to learn a language.

I think the easiest way to learn is talking. It stimulates your brain to think faster compared to reading or writing where you can just take your time. When you're conversing with someone, you have to reply right away. And when you're listening to someone, you have to pay attention compared to reading or writing where your mind can wonder. So since conversing verbally requires more focus, it seems to me that it's also the fastest and easiest way to learn.