Linguaholic

Do you have a language mentor?

True2marie

Mentoring is key to succeeding in many ares of life. Finding a person to lead you in something they have accomplished helps you weather many pitfalls. So, do you have a language mentor?

For a while, I had an old teacher who assisted me. She made me see that being fluent in Spanish wasn't an impossible task.

I'm learning Japanese in a classroom structure so you could say that my professor is my mentor, however, there's no one on one interaction on a personal level. I would love to have a more one on one mentoring type situation though.

I am learning Hangeul and my mentor is my Korean husband. Everyday since I came into their country he is all support to me in order that I will learn easily. Although our means of conversation everyday is English because he is fluent to it even though he is a Korean we see to it that I will learn also their language. Aside from that he prepared some home tutorial videos teaching the pronunciation techniques so that when I go to school this coming February I had already a background of some of its basic words and phrases.

No mentor for me. Rather I use the internet to find different learning resources. To keep motivated I use a website called www.chains.cc where you add a link to a chain everyday you complete a task. Websites and forums like linguaholic are nice to hear about different peoples strategies for learning. Also I can discuss anything that I would with a mentor on a forum like this one. It's a wonderful age in time that we're living in.

I don't have a language mentor, but I certainly wish I had one. I mean a language mentor would definitely be beneficial to my learning process. Not only would it help me learn languages faster it would also help me be efficient. A language mentor would also more than likely keep me motivated.

Unfortunately I'm in the mentor-less camp, though I definitely would love to have one. I find it's so much easier to learn either in a classroom setting or with the structure of an actual teacher, at the very least. I'm doing it on my own for now, though.

I am learning Hangeul and my mentor is my Korean husband. Everyday since I came into their country he is all support to me in order that I will learn easily. Although our means of conversation everyday is English because he is fluent to it even though he is a Korean we see to it that I will learn also their language. Aside from that he prepared some home tutorial videos teaching the pronunciation techniques so that when I go to school this coming February I had already a background of some of its basic words and phrases.

I have a few Japanese friends who constantly help me out with understanding Japanese. They usually teach me new phrases I can use, especially ones we can use as code among the locals. :) I wouldn't call them mentors, however, as they are not treating it as seriously as if it were a job, but it's enough for me to call them teachers.

At this time, I currently have zero mentors. I only rely on the internet to be able to learn new words. But I'm really not in a hurry though to learn a new language since I'm just a casual student, I'm not moving to another country or anything.

My language mentor is my teenage daughter. She is a great motivator for me and has gone through several levels with exceptional passes :smile:. When I get a little frustrated :sad: she encourages me alot and we dialogue quite often in Spanish.