Linguaholic

My Little Word Land

Hello everyone!

I'd like to introduce My Little Word Land, a website that I've been making for practicing foreign language vocabulary, including Chinese vocabulary. I've put up a beta version of the site at  www.mylittlewordland.com, and I'm trying to get the word out to people who might be interested :)

About
Learn vocabulary! Review vocabulary! Build a village!

My Little Word Land is a website for learning and reviewing foreign language vocabulary. The site uses a simple and (hopefully :)) effective algorithm designed to help you efficiently study.

Setup
My Little Word Land does not yet have any premade vocabulary lists for you to use, so for now, you'll need to create your own lists of words that you'd like to learn. You can populate this list by either manually inputting words or by uploading a vocabulary list that you've download from another website or made via Excel.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Learn
Study part of your list of vocabulary words and then take quizzes to make sure that you remember the material. When reviewing, words in the quizzes are ordered by how long you've successfully remembered them, with words that you haven't remembered for very long being shown before words that you've already successfully remembered for a long time.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Build
One of the fun aspects of My Little Word Land is that as you study, you gain resources that you can then use to build a little village :)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Advanced features
My Little Word Land lets you choose what language to be prompted in and what language to respond with. For example, if you're learning Spanish, you can choose to be prompted in Spanish and answer with English or to be prompted in English and answer with Spanish.

This can be especially useful for languages that have a separate way to write a word's pronunciation. For example, if you're learning Chinese, then you could choose to first be prompted in Chinese and answer with English, then be prompted in Chinese and answer with Pinyin, and then be prompted in English and answer with Chinese. (Chinese ➔ English, Chinese➔ Pinyin, English ➔ Chinese)

Similarly, for Japanese you could you could choose to first be prompted in Kanji and answer with English, then be prompted in Kanji and answer with Hiragana, and then be prompted in English and answer with Kanji. (Kanji ➔ English, Kanji ➔ Katakana, English ➔ Kanji)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

If you run into any issues or have questions, feel free to let me know by posting in this thread :)

Oh, and in case it's useful to anyone, here's a list of some of the known bugs/missing features:

• Importing vocabulary from a file only works if the course doesn't already include vocabulary words.
  • There's currently no way to delete your user or reset your password.
  • There's no way to give a column a custom name.

Thanks!
-neoncube

(Original post below)

Spoiler

Hello!

I've been working on creating a web app for practicing foreign language vocabulary, including Chinese vocabulary. Today I've launched an alpha version of the website at www.mylittlewordland.com, and I'm trying to get the word out to people who might be interested :)

Please feel free to sign up and give the site a try, if you like! I'd love to have some people using the site :)

My Little Word Land is similar to some other websites in that it lets you import or manually enter lists of vocabulary and then tries to help you learn or review those words in an efficient manner. The site is also a bit special, though, because it uses a custom algorithm to try to make reviewing vocabulary more efficient, and it has some other nice little features, too, particularly for those learning Chinese :)

Please note that the site is in alpha, with all that entails.

If you run into any issues or have questions, feel free to let me know by posting in this thread :)

Oh, and in case it's useful to anyone, here's a list of some of the known bugs/missing features:

• There's currently no way to import a vocabulary file after adding words to a course.
  • There's currently no way to delete your user or reset your password.
  • The "Remembered" column on the course overview page may contain incorrect information in some cases.
  • There's no way to give a column a custom name.

Thanks!

-neoncube

• 2 months later...

The site now has support for public vocabulary lists, so you can create a vocabulary list and share it with others or study a vocabulary list that someone else has made! :)

I haven't updated the screenshots on the site to showcase this new feature, but I thought I would post here, in case anyone is interested in one of the courses that I've made so far:

1. Vocabulary from the song 最後我們沒在一起
  2. Vocabulary from the song 因爲剛好遇見你
  3. Vocabulary from the song 如鹿切慕溪水  (A Christian hymn)
  4. Advanced colors (Such as ocher, cyan, and tan)
  5. Common chemical elements (Such as hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...