Linguaholic

20 awesomely untranslatable words from around the world

True2marie

Did you know that some words cannot be translated in English?  Nope, they aren't words from dead languages. They are actually ones from languages still in use today.  Here's one of them is tartle.  In Scottish, it means 'the act of hesitating while introducing someone because you’ve forgotten their name'.

Link to list: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/

I see that the inevitable "saudade" is there as well. Personally I think that words like "nostalgia" and "longing" pretty much cover its meaning, but some people still find those words don't quite translate the full concept.

For an untranslatable Portuguese word I much prefer "desenrascanço" (literally disentanglement): it means to get out of a tough situation using cunning and little means. Sort of like "pulling a MacGyver". Legend has it Dutch ships used to have a couple of Portuguese sailors whose job was to do nothing at all until something went awry, during which case they were supposed to come up with a solution on the spot.

Awesome post, thanks for share this amazing articles!  Actually many of those words describe things I've felt or seen in the past, but I failed to describe them in the past with one single word, because they don't exist in my own language either.

I wish they existed in my own language, but sadly it doesn't.  The english language is said to be even richer than my mother language.  So if those words don't exist in the english language, there is no way they can be found in spanish. 

Thank you for sharing this, I have always known that not every word has an exact equivalent translation in another language, and I think that would be impossible. However, any word that cannot be directly translated can be explained into what it means, like what the article has done.

This is really interesting. It shows some the uniqueness to languages and cultures. It made me remember all those time I would say "they should have a word for...". Thanks for the share, I enjoyed reading it. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

What an amazing thread!

I would like to add one more:。It is the word DAO. You probably know this word from the word Taoism and it means something like the (correct) way. However, sinologists usually don't translate the word as it has can have so many different meanings according to the context.

Well, I must confess: I am Scottish and I have never heard of "tartle"...perhaps it's a regional thing!

I really like "wabi-sabi". There are a few more which I really like which aren't on the list, like the Greek "sophrosyne", meaning "a healthy state of mind, characterised by moderation, self-control and a deep awareness of one's true self, resulting in true happiness", and the German "vorfreude", meaning "joy experienced when imagining future pleasures".

Really interesting thread! :)

When I saw the title of the thread I was gonna talk about "saudade" but I see it's been mentioned already... I don't think that "nostalgia" truly translates that feeling but it gives an idea I guess... That's our "fado" or destiny as you can say in English :)

Nice thread! Apart from these words that are untranslatable there are other that can be translated, but hardly have the same meaning. I am always surprised with the way love is used in English, this translates to "amor" in Portuguese, but it's a word we use in much more special situations, it's not a day-to-day word.

Nice thread! Apart from these words that are untranslatable there are other that can be translated, but hardly have the same meaning. I am always surprised with the way love is used in English, this translates to "amor" in Portuguese, but it's a word we use in much more special situations, it's not a day-to-day word.

So how exactly does the usage of love differ in Portuguese then? I would love to hear some examples because I am unaware of those differences.

So how exactly does the usage of love differ in Portuguese then? I would love to hear some examples because I am unaware of those differences.

We don't usually say "I love you" to our friends, pets or relatives.

Well it's hard to explain, but in English you can say that you love everything and pretty much anyone that no one will find that awkward. In Portuguese we use the verb "amar"("to love") only in "extreme" cases... We prefer to say "I like you" ("Gosto de ti") or "I adore you"(Adoro-te") to family and friends and we usually only  say "I love you" to our lovers or parents if we have a really close relation with them.