Linguaholic

破釜沉舟 (Pòfǔchénzhōu)

Daimashin

破釜沉舟 meaning no turning back

破釜沉舟 originated from a historical event where during the Battle of Julu (巨鹿之战), "Conqueror of the West" Xiang Yu (項羽) led an army against the Qin Army in order to avenge his uncle's death. While on his way to the Qin territory, he saw on his ship that his men had no discipline and were slacking away. In order for his men to be motivated, Xiang Yu ordered to have the cooking utensils destroyed and upon landing, had his ships sunk. Before headed into battle, he told his men, "We only have food for three days. If you want food to eat, it will be from the enemies' camp. If you want ships to go home to, it will be from the enemies' harbors." This resulted in his men fighting to the death because there was no other way for them to survive. In the end, Xiang Yu's army was victorious defeating the Qin Army that is larger than theirs 10 to 1.

That is a fascinating story Daimashin! Where did you get this from? Did you have to learn this in school (university). Could you please make sample sentence for me with this 成语。I am unsure how I could use it in a full sentence.!

regards

lingua

That is a fascinating story Daimashin! Where did you get this from? Did you have to learn this in school (university). Could you please make sample sentence for me with this 成语。I am unsure how I could use it in a full sentence.!

regards

lingua

I used to take Chinese Literature and 成语 is the part I'm most good at because I find the stories behind them is very fascinating.

Here's an example on how to incorporate this into a sentence or speech:

"我已經把所有括出去了, 我這一次是「破釜沉舟」。 一定要成功"