Linguaholic

How Do You Study

Carneita2000

For me, I have given up on cramming a new language into my head. I adapt a more passive type of learning. I listen to songs, watch movies and even play games in Spanish. I may listen to a few lessons on youtube; but am no longer repeating words until my head hurt.  :nerd:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

That's actually a better way to learn a new language you know, thru constant repetition the "natural" way, and thru immersion. After all, that was how we learned our native language when we  were kids right? It wouldn't really be good if you force yourself to memorize all those words and what they mean. You should memorize them the "natural" way.

Learning a new language is not that easy. It requires hard work and dedication and deeper understanding. I read a lot, watch video tutorials and dramas on television. For me it is great for learning because you can see and hear how to make the right pronunciation and when to speak a certain word or phrases to the right person in the right place and situation.

I usually read a book in a new language to find new vocabulary words that I consider they're useful. I often read from the textbook, which will teach me how to learn the basics of the language. Plus, I can watch movies in that language to strengthen my skills.

In order to learn Spanish, I mixed several learning methods.

One was the use of flash cards with specific words listed on them. I also had a study partner, someone to practice communicating the language with and to help with pronunciation of words.  For me, this was a winning combo.

I have a study partner which makes my studying much easier. I pretty much have my study partner around which not only helps me, but motivates me as well. I like the idea of a study partner because they will ensure you learn your new language to your best ability.

Ah, I'm still trying to learn Dutch, but I barely have any time left at the end of the day, but when I do... I like to listen to my Dutch audio course. I haven't taken a lot notes so far, because I know that's not very effective for me.  I mean, I learnt english on my note and never took any kind of notes!  It was all in my head, which is weird, because I wasn't even trying (I believe it was my destiny to learn english, I really do!).

So basically my studying method is quite relaxing and passive, lol.  I just do it when I have the time to study Dutch... which is rarely nowadays.  So scary...! Considering I'm just 6 weeks away from my trip to the Netherlands!!!!

When I am studying, especially if it is another subject, I read daily. I used the dictionary to look for words that I don't know the meaning of. I listen to the pronunciation of the words on C.D.'s, I record my teacher in class and listen attentively to whatever he/she is saying. I also practice speaking the language, by putting up charts that are labeled and by using flash cards.  :smile:

I have a weekly target that's either time related, vocabulary related, or an amount of grammar lessons that I try to accomplish. It's usually something easy that doesn't require much concentration as I'm in no hurry to finish learning a new language.

I usually read a book in a new language to find new vocabulary words that I consider they're useful. I often read from the textbook, which will teach me how to learn the basics of the language. Plus, I can watch movies in that language to strengthen my skills.

I would say studying in groups helps me a lot. Choose who you want in your group and have thing to munch on while you study. Trust me it helps.

I'm a flashcard and note taking kind of girl. If I write and rewrite the same thing over again it eventually sticks. I use that for learning grammar rules and stuff like that but flashcards and repetition work best for vocabulary.

For me studying comes naturally, I used flash cards, I read over my notes two or three times after I have written them. I make up acronyms to remember some important points in my notes. I use highlighters and highlight the main points in my text books and one more thing that i do when i record my teachers in class  I put those notes in the form of music and sing to my favorite tune.