Linguaholic

Flowers, Plants, and Trees: Idioms in English

LauraM

As with animals, birds, fish, insects and other topics in this section, we will also find that trees, flowers and plants are featured in many idioms and expressions in the English language.

Here are a few:

A "late bloomer" refers to someone who attains success later in life.

To "nip in the bud" means to stop something before it takes hold.

To "turn over a new leaf" means to reform or change one's habits for the better.

"Everything's coming up roses" refers to having success or prosperity or things generally going favorably. 

Can you think of idioms with plants or flowers and/or trees ?  If so, please add to our list. :)

To add to that list:

[to] not grow in trees - mostly used in reference to money. Not abundant in supply.

bark up the wrong tree[?] - follow the wrong course/ ask the wrong person for something/ to make a

a wrong choice.

hit the hay[?] - go to sleep/bed.

[not] Let grass grow under your feet - not delay in doing something.

"Sick as a dog" and "In a pig's eye" always kind of confused me. First, I don't know why dogs were picked to represent sickness when it comes to figures of speech, and the latter (pig's eye) is just... why?  :confused:

Also, "sweating like a pig" is confusing too because it isn't even accurate. To the best of my knowledge, pigs don't sweat, or at least not much if at all.

One that comes to mind is "A thorn between two Roses" meaning that the person in the middle is the "thorn" surrounded by two beauties.

I have used this phrase to accent a comedic situation, like when I am taking a picture with my two boys. I am the thorn, they are the roses.

It always makes us smile.

A "late bloomer" refers to someone who attains success later in life.   

I think this one is pretty funny :P In German we also have an idiom to get the meaning of "someone who attains success later in life" across and it is called "Ein Spätzünder"

• 2 months later...

I love these types of idioms, because I myself am a gardener and nature enthusiast.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" -a person can't understand what is right in front of them.

"Stop to smell the roses." -take time to enjoy the little things in life

"Every rose has its thorn" -things that seem perfect may not be so

"Beat around the bush." -when a person needs to discuss a specific topic, but to avoid it, they chat about other things

"What's the story, morning glory?" - what's up?

• 2 months later...

When it comes to flower/plants/trees-related idioms, here are two of my most favorite:  :smile:

Bed of roses - refers to a highly favorable or agreeable situation.

and

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. - means that no matter what you have in life, what others have will always seem better.

When it comes to flower/plants/trees-related idioms, here are two of my most favorite:  :smile:

Bed of roses - refers to a highly favorable or agreeable situation.

and

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. - means that no matter what you have in life, what others have will always seem better.

Awww Eppie, the last one is just soooo true, don't you think so? :=)

'The grass is greener on the other side' is one idiom that get's used often. It refers to the fact that life is more prosperous at another location. Also, every hoe has it's stick in the bush, which refers to every person having an intimate life's partner that they will one day meet.

• 1 year later...