Linguaholic

What techniques do you use to memorize words in a new language?

True2marie

My techniques in learning a new language is that every new words and phrases that I see or hear either in a book, language video tutorials, television dramas I write it down in my notebook and then everyday I read it again and again after I wake up in the morning while my mind is still fresh after a night sleep. This makes it easier for me for better absorption in my brain.

I usually write down the words, then find the meaning of it. I write the words repeatly at least 8 to 10 times until I'm able to learn and memorize them. I usually write a pronunciation next to the word, which helps me to learn how to say the word.

Practice, practice, practice. I use them in every way so I have it built into my head. If I don't practice them and in multiple ways, I will easily forget them. I think this is a great way to really learn things as if they are not practiced then they may be easily forgotten..

The issue with me is not the memorization. I can memorize fine at a normal pace. It's the pronunciation that I have a problem with. The apps that I use provide correct pronunciation, but sometimes when I say the words, they come out differently. It's getting better though!

Flash cards are the way to go, in my opinion. Also, word association helps the process along further, but it isn't always applicable to every foreign word. I use it whenever the chance presents itself, though, because learning a new language is a pretty big task so I'll take all the help I can get. :)