Linguaholic

指鹿为马 (zhǐ lù wéi mǎ)

Daimashin

指鹿为马 (zhǐ lù wéi mǎ) - To twist facts

This phrase came from during the Qin Dynasty under the rule of Emperor of Qin the 2nd. There was a Supreme Eunuch called Zhàogāo that ruled with an iron fist that even the Emperor is afraid of him. Feeling concerned about the growing dissatisfaction from the ministers. Zhàogāo devised a plan. One day, while he was accompanying the Emperor for a stroll along with the ministers, the group saw a deer. Zhàogāo called out to the Emperor and said, "Look your highness, such a beautiful horse." when in fact it's a deer. Even though everyone including the Emperor is aware that the creature is a deer, they didn't dare to argue with Zhàogāo. The Emperor then replied, "Yes, it's a beautiful horse indeed." Everyone but a few agreed afterwards and sang the same tune as Zhàogāo. Not long after, Zhàogāo ordered to have the few that disagreed and disputed executed.

You see, Zhàogāo placed that deer there on purpose. It was his plan all along to see who is loyal to him and who isn't. Those that opposed him obviously didn't live long enough to see the end of Zhàogāo after the fall of Qin by the hands of the rebellion but that is another story.

指鹿为马 (zhǐ lù wéi mǎ) is used to describe when someone is obviously lying and twisting facts just like Zhàogāo was.

I love the story (history) of 成语!I am just really struggling when it comes to the actual use of them. How could I pack this 成语 in a sentence?

Could I say something like, 你说什么?你不要指鹿为马!

I love the story (history) of 成语!I am just really struggling when it comes to the actual use of them. How could I pack this 成语 in a sentence?

Could I say something like, 你说什么?你不要指鹿为马!

Yes, it's a correct way to use it. Most of the time it depends on the context and situation.