Linguaholic

What's difficult about learning English online, or with an app?

Meigui616

• 2 weeks later...

I'd only say one thing: unless the online course or app includes audio, it's pretty much impossible to learn English.
The reason is because many letters have multiple possible sounds which differ per word, so you'll never know how the word is pronounced unless you've heard it at least once.

Like:
Cons piracy sounds very different from conspiracy, despite being written in the same way.
Or "read" (present) and "read" (past) sound very different from each other.
And "recipe" is consistent with pronunciation in most other languages in the world, but completely breaks consistency within English.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

In my experience, the most part of studying languages online it's about pronuntation and my own studying skills. Why I say that? Easy, because it's difficult to stay focus in something if you don't have anyone that be care about you. For that, I think that it's better to think about take online classes but with some videocall lessons as tutors or teachers that can be following all of your evolution.

Like any Germanic language, English has different sounds for some letters. Without a tutor or an app that has good pronunciation, learning certain words can be difficult.As a stress-timed language, proper spoken English has a certain rhythm to it that most English learners tend to find difficult at the beginning. In my opinion, online English learning is most effective with the guidance of a tutor.

3 minutes ago, Mandee said:

Like any Germanic language, English has different sounds for some letters. Without a tutor or an app that has good pronunciation, learning certain words can be difficult.As a stress-timed language, proper spoken English has a certain rhythm to it that most English learners tend to find difficult at the beginning. In my opinion, online English learning is most effective with the guidance of a tutor.

Without learning sound, you won't really get far.
This is a mistake pretty much everyone is doing or has done (including myself).
It's not limited to just Germanic languages, it's pretty much every language.

They think all they need is a book, they need to see the word to understand.
They'll understand in written form, but then they go to the country their target language is spoken, and won't understand anything at all, neither spoken nor written language.

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 1:35 PM, 宇崎ちゃん said:

I'd only say one thing: unless the online course or app includes audio, it's pretty much impossible to learn English.
The reason is because many letters have multiple possible sounds which differ per word, so you'll never know how the word is pronounced unless you've heard it at least once.

Like:
Cons piracy sounds very different from conspiracy, despite being written in the same way.
Or "read" (present) and "read" (past) sound very different from each other.
And "recipe" is consistent with pronunciation in most other languages in the world, but completely breaks consistency within English.

I totally agree with a previous comment. I always use audiobooks to learn English faster. It is even better to read the book before and then listen to the audio file to improve listening skills. I usually, listen to audiobooks and read short summaries on this resource
https://freebooksummary.com/category/go-set-a-watchman

• 1 month later...