Linguaholic

Unmotivated to read! Suggestions?

Aishe

Recently, or for the past year, I've been finding it really difficult to get into any book or written work deeply enough for me to enjoy it. There are required pieces of texts that were compulsory for me to read, but I never really enjoyed it despite having been an avid reader in the past.

Are there any favourite books of yours or such that you would recommend to get me out of this rut?

That's tough, Aishe. It could just be a problem of you not picking up the right books. Stay clear from complicated works of high literature, but also from that dreaded brain-dumbing adult fiction. Try picking up something light but still quality work, like a comedy of sorts. Tom Sharpe and David Lodge are both excellent choices, great storytellers that keep you on the edge of the pages.

I suggest nonfiction.  You could pick topics that are of interest to you at the moment and that you'd like to learn more about.  This could encompass quite a wide selection of reading materials from self-help books to history to biography to autobiography and memoir. 

Another suggestion is to take a look at book review sites to get some ideas of what kinds of books are out there that are of interest.  Also most major online newspapers have extensive book sections.  For instance the New York Times and L.A. Times in the U.S. and The Guardian and The Telegraph in the UK have excellent sections on books of all kinds.

I think the key is to find something to read that is of compelling interest.  Otherwise it would be drudgery.

I used to be one of those people who are unmotivated to read because I didn't really like reading at all. It depends on your own interest though, which I would suggest that find the topics or subjects that interest you. I think the only way to do that is try to go to a news or article website, then read something that interests you. It's the only way to actually get you into reading.

Why not read those favorite books once again? Those that were written by your favorite authors could help. There really comes a time when one feels bored to read just like there is a writer's block. Another suggestion would be trying to get out of your comfort zone and read other genres, other authors. In that way, you can familiarize yourself with their works and can learn new things from them. :)

I could not recommend any books but something I would suggest is to watch programs with subtitles and read them! It does help..

Forgot this was an option, I used to really be into German programs and just through reading the subs I began to pick up bits and bobs! Though in reading literature, I wouldn't be doing it to advance my grasp of English, just for fun. :)

That's tough, Aishe. It could just be a problem of you not picking up the right books. Stay clear from complicated works of high literature, but also from that dreaded brain-dumbing adult fiction. Try picking up something light but still quality work, like a comedy of sorts. Tom Sharpe and David Lodge are both excellent choices, great storytellers that keep you on the edge of the pages.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

I suggest nonfiction.  You could pick topics that are of interest to you at the moment and that you'd like to learn more about.  This could encompass quite a wide selection of reading materials from self-help books to history to biography to autobiography and memoir. 

Another suggestion is to take a look at book review sites to get some ideas of what kinds of books are out there that are of interest.  Also most major online newspapers have extensive book sections.  For instance the New York Times and L.A. Times in the U.S. and The Guardian and The Telegraph in the UK have excellent sections on books of all kinds.

I think the key is to find something to read that is of compelling interest.  Otherwise it would be drudgery.

Hmm, I've never been a huge non-fiction reader. Might give it a go!

I used to be one of those people who are unmotivated to read because I didn't really like reading at all. It depends on your own interest though, which I would suggest that find the topics or subjects that interest you. I think the only way to do that is try to go to a news or article website, then read something that interests you. It's the only way to actually get you into reading.

Ahh I loved reading though :( Used to be that whenever I got really stuck in nothing could pry it out of my hands until I'd finished. Perhaps I just need to look for something new to be interested in... A change couldn't hurt. :)

Why not read those favorite books once again? Those that were written by your favorite authors could help. There really comes a time when one feels bored to read just like there is a writer's block. Another suggestion would be trying to get out of your comfort zone and read other genres, other authors. In that way, you can familiarize yourself with their works and can learn new things from them. :)

Ahh, I think there are some books on my shelves I haven't read in a while. I'll see if any of them potentially strike my interest again.

Pick the source material that you are interested in. Holding something you like will be a big enough motivation to read. After you're comfortable reading long books that you like, you can start picking up books of other genres.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Recently, or for the past year, I've been finding it really difficult to get into any book or written work deeply enough for me to enjoy it. There are required pieces of texts that were compulsory for me to read, but I never really enjoyed it despite having been an avid reader in the past.

Are there any favourite books of yours or such that you would recommend to get me out of this rut?

That's a tough one without knowing you, although I can see people gave some really great suggestions already.

If I may, I have a fully different suggestion. I know you asked specifically for books, but I think you should think about why you don't read as much now.

There was a time when I was constantly worried about few big problems on my mind. They were of such magnitude to me, that I didn't even want to distract myself- I needed a solution. And so it began being harder and harder to focus on fictional stories when I was too busy in trying to figure out how to deal with my own.

There have been times when I work with computer too much- then I'm too tired for books on paper. I fixed that by switching to audio books for a while.

You said there are books that you HAVE to read, but don't find interest in. I would suggest finding movie or tutorial or something else that would give you a different angle on the subject. Find a way to get interested in the book, and then even if the writing is dull, it will be slightly easier to make yourself go through it.

You would have to be a bit more specific on what genres you are into, fiction or nonfiction too etc. I've found myself tired and unmotivated to read as well, for long periods at that, and I would just deal with it and accept that reading at the moment is not a thing for me. But to kick-start it I would go for some light and easy book that I am sure I will find interesting. Keep it simple and short for a first read and then go onto the deeper stuff when you are hooked. Go for some acclaimed classic.

Tough situation! Found myself in a similar one a few years ago when I just couldn't pick up a book. What turned it around for me was picking up a Kindle and having access to basically the entire amazon library! Any Notebook reader would do obviously, but having that wide of a selection for me lead to "Oh hmm, looks interesting. I'll check it out." type of moments. I've gotten into some of my favorite novels just by browsing through the Amazon library. The plain reader versions are relatively cheap nowadays and mine was one of the best purchases I ever made.

That would be my best advice, without knowing what your interests are and such. Reading favorites also can't hurt! Good luck

Ask yourself what motivates you. What interests you. Seek and search the topics that draws or attracts you. Then based on that, you can make up a list of interests and find books relevant to your choices.

If you're not a fan of lengthy words but if you have the desire to still read books, then I recommend getting picture books or photography books. Use Pictures to assist you in Reading and use the short sentences or paragraphs in the book to help you explain the Pictures.

I'll conclude this post with a quote I earned from my travels - Pictures speak louder than Words. Pictures are worth a thousand Words.

Sincerely,

The Antiquarian.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to read a lot in high school and then stopped as an adult just because I thought I was too busy to read. My sister finally got me to read some books that she really liked, and I remembered how relaxing it is to read before bedtime until my eyes get tired. I am not currently reading anything, but I plan to get back into reading by asking a friend or relative to borrow a book that they really liked. Word of mouth is how I find a new book or I see what everybody is talking about in social media. Another option would be to read the book version of a favorite movie. At least you have a pretty good idea if you will like the book.

Go browse through the library or a book store and pick out a book that looks absolutely amazing to you.  Maybe it is just the title or the cover looks good.  Just pick it up and read the back and see if it draws you in. I think being amongst the books and being able to pick them up and choose one you know you will love will get you out of your slump that you are in.  Good luck!!

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

As for why I haven't been reading so much .. I've gotten deeply into gaming and on top of work and studies, I don't really have the time to just sit and read. I think perhaps it's something mental like I think I'm being unproductive as there isn't a tangible way to measure progress or to see that I'm actually accomplishing something.

I have tried to get into audiobooks and podcasts too, but it's the same. Both put me straight to sleep. :(

I will keep trying though! It's nice to have your support.

I think it's easy to lose momentum, especially if you've been unlucky and read a few bad books recently. Whenever this happens to me, I tend to go back to reading a book I know I love from the past, something fairly light and easy. Don't be too ambitious.

I think it's easy to lose momentum, especially if you've been unlucky and read a few bad books recently. Whenever this happens to me, I tend to go back to reading a book I know I love from the past, something fairly light and easy. Don't be too ambitious.

I was just thinking I'd like to reread one of the childhood series I grew up with. Might spur me onto more reading. Thanks for your advice!

Perhaps you've just not got anything to read that you really enjoy? I was feeling the same recently, until I got The Hunger Games books, which I read all three within 6 days!

I'm really fond of plot driven books, except for the fact that usually they aren't very thought provoking. When I read The Hunger Games myself, I took a day to read each of the books as I was so intwined with the plot. However satisfying, they're not quite fulfilling for me?

If I read a Murakami book for example, it might take me over the course of a month but at the end of it I'm left with new things to roll around in my head and maybe a new perspective on things.

Maybe just to get back into the swing of things I will pick up a few new books. Thank you :) !

• 2 weeks later...

If you seek wisdom and good motivation to live, try to look for the book Master Key System. I forgot who the author is but it's a really good one. You will learn the methods of martial arts and how you can apply that in everyday living.

Unmotivated to read, unmotivated to do sports, unmotivated to do a lot of things, I think that the key here is finding a book that interests you. You're into gaming, why not a book about gaming?

I'd recommend trying to find a well written children's book. It might sound silly, but there's a reason why Harry Potter is as well known and universally liked. I personally loved the original Narnia book and it was the book that got me started reading in the first place. What's odd about it is that I'm not even that fond of fantasy themes, especially the type that was in that book, but it was just so well written that it grabbed my attention within the first few pages and I could barely put it down after that.

Well, this is exactly what I feel when I am about to start reading a novel/book or halfway to finishing it and realize that it will have a film/movie adaptation. I was about to read Game of Thrones and then the TV series happened, so I never got around to reading it.