Linguaholic

How do you find time to study a new language?

Trellum

It's not secret I'm trying really hard to learn Dutch, because I plan to move there in the future with my loving boyfriend and start a family, but gosh!!!  This language is really hard to learn, plus I can't seem to find enough time to even study it :(  So far I have only learnt a few phrases and words: I don't speak dutch, you speak english, good morning, see you later, etc.

This is scary, because I'll be traveling to the Netherlands in just a few weeks, I'll be meeting my boyfriend's parents :)  I'm excited, but also extremely nervious at the same time! I know a lot people speaks and understand english over there, but I really wanted to know some dutch before going there (that can never hurt, right?).  I just can't find enough time to study!!!

How do you guys find the time to study a new language? Do you have to sacrifice some activities in order to be able to study the new language? If yes, what activities do you have to sacrifice in order to be able to study a new language?

The only time I'm able to grab some free time to do stuff that's not on my schedule is at night. Unlike you, I'm learning Spanish just for the fun of it but I'm serious about being fluent in the shortest time possible. Because of that, the time I spent watching movies after supper is now used for learning the language. It's a huge sacrifice because, to be honest I'm a die-hard movie buff.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you can cut some of the hours you sleep to make time for learning Dutch. But don't push yourself too hard. Most likely your potential in-laws won't mind that you're unable to speak their language unless you wish to pass yourself off as a Dutch lady. . .

How do you guys find the time to study a new language? Do you have to sacrifice some activities in order to be able to study the new language? If yes, what activities do you have to sacrifice in order to be able to study a new language?

That's so exciting that you'll be moving soon.  I know it is stressful, but it is also a new and wonderful opportunity! :)

I think consistency in studying languages is also very important. This can help in avoiding that feeling of being overwhelmed. 

For instance, a half hour a day every day will yield much more progress than a couple times a week for, say, two or three hours.  At least this is what I have found to be true.  Plus if you are doing even a small amount every day, it helps to build momentum and confidence.  I think stepping away from language study even for a day or two makes the return potentially  more anxiety provoking.

So bottom line, I would say, decided on what is a reasonable and achievable time to allot on a daily basis and schedule in that time just as you would any other important appointment. 

I find this works for language study as well as other tasks that need daily attention.

I hope this is helpful.  :)

I find time to study, by making me a great schedule I try to kind of schedule out my life for the most part. I hate when I do not have a lot of time to do something I love doing or enjoy doing. That is why I have to find time for learning languages.

That's so exciting that you'll be moving soon.  I know it is stressful, but it is also a new and wonderful opportunity! :)

I think consistency in studying languages is also very important. This can help in avoiding that feeling of being overwhelmed. 

For instance, a half hour a day every day will yield much more progress than a couple times a week for, say, two or three hours.  At least this is what I have found to be true.  Plus if you are doing even a small amount every day, it helps to build momentum and confidence.  I think stepping away from language study even for a day or two makes the return potentially  more anxiety provoking.

So bottom line, I would say, decided on what is a reasonable and achievable time to allot on a daily basis and schedule in that time just as you would any other important appointment. 

I find this works for language study as well as other tasks that need daily attention.

I hope this is helpful.  :)

Thank you, Laura :)  It is really exciting, my trip is going to be in just 6 weeks!!!  The time is getting closer, but this will be just a visit, I'm not going to stay there yet, but I'll probably be moving there next year, and by that time I really hope I can at least speak or understand some Dutch.  I was told I really have to learn Dutch in order to stay there, is a requisite for me.  So there is much at stake!

I will try to do this, but I haven't studied in a week now I think.  Shame on me, I know!!  I need to try and put a lot more effort! I'll try to schedule this... so I can do it everyday after work.  Hopely I make it.  Thanks for the advice, Laura :)

The only time I'm able to grab some free time to do stuff that's not on my schedule is at night. Unlike you, I'm learning Spanish just for the fun of it but I'm serious about being fluent in the shortest time possible. Because of that, the time I spent watching movies after supper is now used for learning the language. It's a huge sacrifice because, to be honest I'm a die-hard movie buff.

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you can cut some of the hours you sleep to make time for learning Dutch. But don't push yourself too hard. Most likely your potential in-laws won't mind that you're unable to speak their language unless you wish to pass yourself off as a Dutch lady. . .

Hahaha, yeah Denis :)  You are right, I still have plenty of time to learn the language, since I'm not moving there so soon.  I'll probably move there next year! We will see how things go.  I'm so lucky my potential in-laws speak really good english.  My boyfriend isn't so lucky tho, since my parents can't understand or even speak a word of english!  But we will never let that stop us :)

That's cool, Denis, sorry to hear you have to sacrifice your movie time :(  I guess I will have to sacrfice that small break I take before going to bed every night after work.  Is usually 30 minutes long... I just lie on the bed and watch some TV...

It's not too difficult for me to find time, as I constantly think about it throughout the day. I often repeat phrases I've learned in my mind while I do my chores or walk to destinations. As for the initial part of learning, there's way too many tools and gadgets now that helps a lot. I browse language lessons while I'm in the bathroom, for example. I think just dedication and willpower will help you get through it. Just one hour a day is all it takes.

Ah, but at least you haven't given up learning a language alltogether!  At least you're still learning spanish, that's much better than doing nothing.  I guess I'll have to give up my night breaks after my online shift is over so I can study Dutch.

Sometimes giving up certain things is necessary, most of the things that are worth the effort require you to give up something. Ah, this is the reality of life!  Best of luck with your goals :) I hope you can start learning french very soon, but if you want my opinion... is actually good you're now focusing on learning just one language.

It's not too difficult for me to find time, as I constantly think about it throughout the day. I often repeat phrases I've learned in my mind while I do my chores or walk to destinations. As for the initial part of learning, there's way too many tools and gadgets now that helps a lot. I browse language lessons while I'm in the bathroom, for example. I think just dedication and willpower will help you get through it. Just one hour a day is all it takes.

You're a very dedicated person, thart's really admirable :)  Sadly not many people have the chance to do what you do.  I'm a clear example of that, I think what makes it even harder for me is the fact I'm just starting to learn the language.  If I was a bit more advanced, maybe things would get easier. 

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for the amazing tips.  You actually gave me a couple of really good ideas.

I think sleep would be the most likely thing that I would sacrifice when I'm learning a new language. And the time that I spend doing recreational activities like playing video games. But unlike you, I'm not in a hurry to learn a new language, so I'd just do it when I feel like it.

I usually try to learn as many vocabulary words as possible because that is how I can be able to read the sentences and understand them. I try to spend at least 2 to 3 hours a day reading the language textbook and practice how to pronounce some of the words. Until I am able to communicate with other people, I would read a book and practice in my own time.

My advise is don't consider it a burden to learn a new language, just relax. I study Spanish for the sake of just knowing a second language.I usually spend an hour or two on the nights that I do.If i'm not in the mood I simply watch a movie that is in Spanish :laugh:.I learn alot from it and it is always fun :smile:.

After I decided to get serious about learning I set a (very) rough schedule for learning. I don't really study at specific times, I just try to fulfill a predetermined goal (it's either a minimum amount of time or vocabulary/grammar lessons).

• 1 year later...

Trellum, you've probably already used all  those nice tips and found lots of time to study Dutch, you should tell us what time-managing methods worked best for you :)

I try to look up new words or phrases whenever I come across them at work or at home, listen to songs while walking and read something in a foreign language while commuting. I'd never be able to sacrifice sleep though - it's too precious. Besides, I find that whatever you learn just before you go to sleep stays in your head much better. I don't know why, there must be some kind of scientific explanation for that. So, whenever I need to learn something really quick, I repeat it before going to sleep.

And the Internet! A great way to learn some new things while also having fun. Also helps to get a better idea of what's really going on in the world - it's amazing the difference you get when reading about the same event in different languages from different news sites :)

Simple, intergrate speakimg Dutch into your daily dialect that's how I do it especially when you go out and other people, like for example (we'll use French as the example language since I can't speak even the slightest bit of Dutch) if you go up to a person and say " Bonjour, comment tu t'appelles?" or "Bonjour, comment vas-tu?" and when they look at you weird, explain to them it means "Hello, what's your name? (loosely)" or "Hello, how are you?". This also hepls if you have friends, family and/or loved ones who also study the language then you can study that language together with them, and trust me that helps alot...  

I suggest you take every single opportunity to learn.
Even if the amount of free time is as little as 2 minutes, use it for language learning.
2 minutes sounds very few, but it all counts up.

Let's say:
Driving to work takes you 10 minutes. → Fire up some 'listen-and-repeat' exercises on your cars' radio (or on your phone if you travel by public transport).
You're waiting in a queue at the local supermarket. → Go through a couple of flash cards on your phone.
You go out for a walk. → Listen to an episode of Innovative Languages (in the case of Dutch, it's called DutchPod101).
You're going to take a shower. → Listen to the music in your target language (YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, Google Play Music, it doesn't matter).
You're waiting for your train to arrive. → Use Memrise, Duolingo or whatever else you use.
You have lunch break at school. → Nice moment to get on Skype and ask your language teacher and/or native speaker some questions about your target language and/or practise the language with him or her.

See? There are so many ways to utilise the very little amount of free time!

Instead of playing games or posting new blog posts I use that time to learn a new language. These activities consume like an hour or so of my time each day so I would rather set them aside while I am focusing on something important like studying some grammar lessons. As a supplement to that I also try to think in the foreign language throughout the day and it helps. 

Trellum, you've probably already used all  those nice tips and found lots of time to study Dutch, you should tell us what time-managing methods worked best for you :)

I try to look up new words or phrases whenever I come across them at work or at home, listen to songs while walking and read something in a foreign language while commuting. I'd never be able to sacrifice sleep though - it's too precious. Besides, I find that whatever you learn just before you go to sleep stays in your head much better. I don't know why, there must be some kind of scientific explanation for that. So, whenever I need to learn something really quick, I repeat it before going to sleep.

And the Internet! A great way to learn some new things while also having fun. Also helps to get a better idea of what's really going on in the world - it's amazing the difference you get when reading about the same event in different languages from different news sites :)

It's been a while since I posted this, to be honest I wasn't trying hard at all to learn Dutch back then ;)   It wasn't until January of this year I officially started.   I was lacking a lot motivation back then ( I wasn't sure about so many things, specially my relationship with my then boyfriend and the only reason I was learning dutch).  This year I finally did some progress, but I am ashamed to admit I haven't dedicated enough time to Dutch :laugh:  So.... eeeek!  Will let you know how it goes in 6 weeks (my basisexamen inburgering)!!

You are so motivated and dedicated  :D!   I really admire you have the energy to study a language (by reading or listening) after a long day of work.  By the end of the day all I want to do is just lie down and sleep.    I wish I had that level of motivation!  You do good by not sacrificing sleep :)    I had heard about that before, but I thought they were just joking.  I'm glad I do most of my study at night before bed, I've noticed that is the best time of the day for me to study (too hyper during the morning).  What about you? 

Fortunately for me, I have a lot of free time so I never really had to 'find' time to study. It always comes down to motivation.. which seems to be the thing that I'm lacking. I always get myself occupied in unnecessary things and spend my time on things that I don't really need to do. Kind of unfortunate but that's how it is with me. I'm still trying to focus on the language that I'm trying to learn though.

Instead of playing games or posting new blog posts I use that time to learn a new language. These activities consume like an hour or so of my time each day so I would rather set them aside while I am focusing on something important like studying some grammar lessons. As a supplement to that I also try to think in the foreign language throughout the day and it helps. 

Then you are waaaaaaaay stronger than I am or ever be!  xD I am a very indulgent person, when I am done with work I personally love to indulge in some gaming!  Sometimes something as simple as ''Build-a-lot'' but sometimes I go a bit more complex, deeper and scarier and go for games like ''Amnesia''.  I admire those who are strong enough to study languages instead of playing or hanging out on Facebook.  I no longer use Facebook by the way, but I love gaming and checking out sites like the oatmeal...  kudos to you!