Linguaholic

I'm here too

Martel

Hi everyone, I'm Cinzia and because of my work I have to emprove my english. So I've think that an english forum It could be a good occasion to challenge myself . If I wrong somgfething, please feel you free to correct me :smile:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Welcome.

OK, let's start correcting then.

8 hours ago, Martel said:

Hi everyone, I'm Cinzia and because of my work I have to emprove improve my english English. So I've think that an english English forum It could be a good occasion way to challenge myself . If I wrong mistake somgfething something, please feel you free to correct me :smile:

Wow I've just register and I was already corrected :tongue: Well a pair of them was a typing errors. The others I'll try to hold them in mind ! Thanks a lot, and please continue to correct me :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Martel said:

Wow I've just registered and I'm was already getting corrected :tongue: Well a pair some of them was a were typing errors. The As for the others ones, I'll try to hold keep them in mind ! Thanks a lot, and please continue to correct me :laugh:

Please note that I'm not a native speaker and I didn't use English so much over the past few years (it's just not so useful in the country I'm currently living in, and it has become even more useless after the borders to all of existance got closed off due to the common cold covid-19 scamdemic pandemic).

But I still have friends who can't speak Japanese or can only speak it a little bit, so I've been able to prevent English from being forgotten.

It's not a problem, I have to make practice. My English it's too clumsy.

Well I have a good reading capacity but when I have to talk or write, my mind went blank. It's difficult for me to espress a thought, traslated it from my native thongue and then say it. This is the reason why I choose to try an English forum. I hope to make pratice and then take a little more security.

For example, I know it said "keep in mind" but when I tried to espress my thought, I have choose the wrong word and then you have corrected me :(

I understand what you mean.
I speak 4 languages, and in every one of them I have words that I only know in one of them, and I have words that I know in 3 of them but not in 1 of them.

I use English only on this forum and a few foreign friends, I use Dutch only with my younger sister, I use Polish only with my mother, and I use Japanese for everything and everyone else.
But Japanese is my 4th language, so as a result I sometimes throw a Japan-made English word into an English sentence which Americans and British etc. don't understand (like telework/テレワーク, which means working remotely. Or salaryman/サラリーマン, which means white colar work).
Or more commonly, words that I only ever learnt in Japanese (like kika/帰化, which I later on learnt it's "naturalisation" in English. Or uni/ウニ, which is a sea animal with spikes which I still don't know how to call in other languages).

Wow you are amazing ! :o My native tongue is Italian, and I only studying English, but I also understand a little bit of French learned only listening it for years in a tv show ! My biggest difficulty with English are the verb tense. Maybe I can try to open a topic but...there is someone else in this forum ?  Except you I didn't see anyone. I mean ... please just continue to help me, otherwise no one else will do it :tongue:

If you have Discord, that might be a better way.
Because almost everyone has moved away from this forum to Discord now, only I am still here.

https://discord.com/invite/A2s9uyc

On 7/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, Martel said:

Hi everyone, I'm Cinzia and because of my work I have to emprove my english. So I've think that an english forum It could be a good occasion to challenge myself . If I wrong somgfething, please feel you free to correct me :smile:

Welcome!

18 hours ago, 居酒屋 said:

If you have Discord, that might be a better way.
Because almost everyone has moved away from this forum to Discord now, only I am still here.

https://discord.com/invite/A2s9uyc

I've registered on Discord...but I don't understand how use it :tongue:

9 hours ago, linguaholic said:

Welcome!

On 7/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, Martel said:

I've registered on Discord...but I don't understand how use it :tongue:

If you have specific questions about Discord, please let me know. It also took me a while to understand how to use Discord :=)

7 hours ago, linguaholic said:

If you have specific questions about Discord, please let me know. It also took me a while to understand how to use Discord :=)

For example, where can I find people to talk with ? I never find people connected in real time

11 minutes ago, Martel said:

For example, where can I find people to talk with ? I never find people connected in real time

Install Discord on your computer or phone (or login on the web version), click the Discord link I gave you before, and confirm that you want to join.
The Discord server is pretty active, be reminded that very active Discord servers have a downside too.
The more people talk at the same time, the more likely it is that they won't notice you.

An additional reason for me (it's probably not going to be the case for you) is that I'm in a timezone that is incompatible with 99% of the people in most English speaking Discord servers.
When I'm online, Americans are available during the entire morning, then both America and Europe are inactive for a while, and then Europeans are available during the entire evening.
Australians and east Asians are online throughout the entire time I'm available, but I doubt that there's going to be much of these over there.

But that's a typical rant for a European living in east Asia, except I don't care as much because most of my friends on Discord are Japanese any way (along with a few Americans, Germans, Spaniards, and a Swiss).

If there is a "rules" channel (or hashtag like you call it), you can see where you must put certain stuff in.
Otherwise, read the channel name, that's probably where you should post in.

Screenshot_20200724_065200.png