Linguaholic

Any languages not worth learning?

Denis Hard

Languages like Latin, Sumerian, etc., are not spoken anywhere in the world currently. Of course the exception might be Latin because Roman Catholic priests must learn it. But supposing you have no interest in Catholic literature or Latin classics [none of which I know of] is there any point in learning such languages?

Well, if your academic studies/career don't require it any way then learning Latin wouldn't be a good choice as it's pretty much a dead language, and only exists in writing nowadays. However, if you don't learn language for specific purposes (such as moving to a new country for instance) then go ahead, there's a lot of interesting reading material in Latin.

Ancient languages such as Latin and Sumerian have their place in modern society, in the form of hobbies and/or professional fields, such as History and Archaeology. As a major fan if ancient history myself, I would find it fascinating to learn at least a little bit from them. But then again, I do know some basic roman phrases(obviously famous ones that everybody knows but still...)

Sanskrit is not worth learning for practical purposes, but if you are specifically studying ancient Indian or Hindu scriptures then you will gain some benefit from it. Some languages like Manx Gaelic are both practically useless and have no academic value either. Having said that they may be cultural reasons why you might want to learn Manx or Cornish for example.

I don't think there is a single language that is  absolutely useless, but some that may not be useful for a specific individual.

There are lot many languages which are meant to be studied without considering its importance. I remember when I used to learn "Sanskrit" a couple of years back but now I do realize that it was nothing but simply the wastage of time. I think it all exist just to keep it alive as "Sanskrit" was a very popular language written and spoken in the ancient time.

I think there's value in understanding the nuances of such languages, as they were part of the developing linguistics of most of the western world, but its not like you're going to stop on the street and have a conversation in Latin....

but if I had a couple friends who were willing to learn it with me, I'd definitely do just that.  Have conversations in public places in latin or some other dead language, just to see what other people do.

Like it has been said, most ancient and dead languages have interest only to a fringe segment of the population, and mostly for professional reasons related to scholarship. There is only one of these languages that I find still has some value, and that is Latin. Even though there are just over a handful of direct descendants of the language, it's influence is felt on severall other language families, especially those originating in Europe. I think knowledge of Latin as a base for one's own language has many benefits, and learning isn't that hard if you begin soon - I think in Romance language countries it should be mandatory in the school curriculum early on. I find people who grasp basic concepts of Latin and have some knowledge of it's vocabulary grow up with better problem solving skills, a greater ability for rational thought and much better mastery of their language. In short, while learning Latin won't be of much direct use, it will certainly make you a brighter person.

I don't think there's many languages not worth learning, if any. Even if you don't get to use Latin in day to day conversations, you will still be able to unlock a lot of mysteries and history through learning it. Our words contain a long line of history and every syllable and letter was placed where it is for important reasons.

Latin might be worth learning because it's not just religious literature, but many other fields of the human knowledge still use Latin references. In fact a large number of languages have borrowed many terms from Latin.

However other ancient idioms are not worth learning, what do you need to talk or understand Sumerian, Akkadian, or Tasmanian, unless you are a historian or archaeologist.

It's funny you ask this, Denis.  I actually had a lot interest in dead languages when I was younger, specially old norse, since I have this fascination with the norse mythology and vikings since I was a teen.  So back then it really seemed to be worth it, all because of my fascination with vikings and their mythology. But if you asked me right now if I'd put all my time and effort on learning a language like that or a language I don't even need to learn... then I'd say... NO WAY!!!!

Seriously, things change as you age and start living in the adult world.  Priorities chance, so as priorities chance, the way you percieve things might change as well. Before, old norse was a language worth learning for me, now it isn't.  Mostly because I'm way to busy, and I already have to learn a language I actually need to learn and plan to use on a daily basis.

I think in my opinion, any language that we are not gonna use would be useless to learn. After all, why would you bother learning it if you're not going to use it right? But technically, any obsolete language is really obviously not worth learning, like Aramaic.

I wouldn't say it is worthless learning a language that is no longer practiced by many. After all, we can never know too much and who is to say what you pass up today may not be required tomorrow.

I wouldn't say that there are languages not worth learning. What I learn is my knowledge earned so even though the chances of using it are low, that doesn't mean that I won't get to use it in the future.

Well Spanish. I live in Jamaica and we have a lot of Spanish hotel opening now. so spanish now . And later Fench and German.

I learned Latin for a year a couple of years ago, for no reason other than personal interest. Of course there isn't any real point to it, but I think it's nice to learn about the way people and things used to be.

Interesting approach to learning an ancient language I didn't think off.

This brought to my mind a documentary about an old Indian tribe in the South American Chilean region that was extinct a few decades ago (or about to be extincted)

Sometimes learning a language could be just out of curiosity to understand something that is at risk to be lost.

Sanskrit is not worth learning for practical purposes, but if you are specifically studying ancient Indian or Hindu scriptures then you will gain some benefit from it. Some languages like Manx Gaelic are both practically useless and have no academic value either. Having said that they may be cultural reasons why you might want to learn Manx or Cornish for example.

I don't think there is a single language that is  absolutely useless, but some that may not be useful for a specific individual.

I think all language are worth learning cause you would benefit from any language that is learnt. Depends on the area that you work in. If you work in the hotel industry it would be wise to learn different languages. For persons that travel all over the world this would be an advantage for them to learn all the languages at their disposal. I think all language are worth learning. 

I wouldn't say that any language is not worth learning, but I will not learn a language unless it is useful for my life. I would love to have the time to try to learn Japanese or Chinese, but I know that I won't use it in my daily life so I am hesitant to do so.

For me all languages are worth learning. :) Each language has its own beauty and authenticity. We learn other languages for us to explore new worlds and be open to wider opportunities. :)

I have to agree with this. There are no 'useless' languages as they all have their benefits. Communication is key in this world so the more languages that you know, the better it would be for you. You should start with the popular languages like Spanish, Chinese, French, etc. That way, you'll be sure to use them in the future.

• 2 months later...

Languages like Latin, Sumerian, etc., are not spoken anywhere in the world currently. Of course the exception might be Latin because Roman Catholic priests must learn it. But supposing you have no interest in Catholic literature or Latin classics [none of which I know of] is there any point in learning such languages?

Oh latin is actually useful in several occupations. For example, in the medical field, a lot of words are taught in latin. In most animal-related jobs, it is important to know animals' scientific names. Most of which are in latin. So I guess what I'm trying to say here is that even old languages are worth learning.