Linguaholic

Voy a or voy a ir

dtommy79

I've just learned that "voy a" is used to say "I am going to". So for example, "Voy a comer algo." means, "I am going to eat something."

Later, I was told that the more correct way to say this would be, "Voy a ir a comer algo."

Is this true? Is there a difference between the two usages?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hah, that is new for me.  :tongue:

It is really so small of a deal that I think whoever told you this is overreacting or nitpicking in something truly meaningless. Saying "going to go to" versus "going to" doesn't really make something way more correct and if you are thinking in being more formal than what "voy a" can allow you, consider discarding the "I'm going to" wording a altogether so it doesn't sound like a selfish statement.

While I am used to both ways and I exchange both expressions without giving too much thought I could still give you a small guide when to use one or the other, but like I said it really is not big deal.

• "Voy a comer" implies that the food is ready or in the same room. It also gives an idea of a swift action while ir may indirectly reflect more effort or time consumption to complete the action.

• "Voy a ir a comer" implies that you have to interrupt what you are doing or change location. It could also mean that eating is your only intention or your main interest (I'm going wherever specifically to eat). So basically if what you are going to do will affect things or people due a change of location you can use 'voy a ir a...' to leave clear your intent to exit the room, house, get away from the computer, etc.

Still, I'll say it again: using or not 'ir a' won't change what you mean and you can't really be disrespectful about it. "I am going to go to eat" in English sounds more like planning to do it at some point more so than an action that I want to carry out straight away, while in Spanish "voy a ir a comer" can be used for both immediate and planning.

For an unrelated reference I think it is similar to me saying "I'm going to the bathroom" versus "I need to go to the bathroom". Would you really care which one I used? I am sure you could nitpick and tell me "I need to go" sounds more considerate that "I am going" but would it really make a difference? and is it really worth to get myself tense about which one is 'more correct' for each time?

The first "voy a" doesn't really mean "go" it simply functions as an auxiliary verb to indicate the near future tense. It's like saying "I'm going to kill you!" to a guy standing right in front of you, with a gun in your hand. "I'm going to" would normally indicate moving to a new location (I'm going to school - with actual walking and movement) but since you are standing right in front of the guy with a gun in your hand, why would you need to say "I'm going to kill you"? You're not moving at all!

The reason is the "I'm going to" part is used as a helping verb to change the meaning of the main verb "to kill". It shows that the action will occur and that it will occur very shortly. This is the function of "voy a" in Spanish as well. It shows that an action will occur within a short amount of time (what is known as the near future). "Voy a comer" simply means "I will eat (very shortly) or in colloquial English "I am going to eat". Meaning that the food is ready and you can eat it right away without any actual motion to a new location.

"Voy a ir a comer" means "I am going to go to eat" meaning that you will (very shortly) move to a new destination to eat, with actual movement involved.

• 3 months later...

I think it's pretty much as you said, voy a means "I'm going to (do something)" voy a ir implies some movement, it's going to someplace and only after that it will be done something. I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Like someone said above, the person who corrected you is just nit-picking. I know the difference, but funny enough I rarely use the second one. It just complicates my fluency -- requires more thinking on my part. I actually use "voy a" a lot to skip using future tense conjugations.

Here's what I know, and I hope it can help organize the information.

• Voy a + [location]. - I go to [location]. For example, voy a la escuela means I go to the school.
  • Voy a + [infinitive]. - I am going to [infinitive]. For example, voy a comer means I am going to eat.
  • Voy a ir a + [location]. - I am going to go to [location]. For example, voy a ir a la escuela means I am going to go to the school.
  • Voy a ir a + [infinitive]. - I am going to go to [infinitive]. For example, voy a ir a comer means I am going to go to eat.

I think BWL has the right idea that the "voy a ir a + [infinitive]" indicates going to a new location to do the action.

In English, we often say both "I am going to eat" and "I am going to go eat." The correct usage of grammar would depend on the context, so one is not necessarily more correct than the other. "Voy a ir a + [infinitive]" and "voy a [infinitive]" have pretty solid translations into English, so for once you can judge your usage of Spanish grammar based on what you would say in English.

• 3 months later...

'Voy a comer' seems to me that all you are going to do is eat. If you say 'voy a ir a comer' it tells me that you are going to go elsewhere to eat.

So if you use the first one, you're implying that you're only planning to do one thing, whereas with the latter option you are moving.

• 6 months later...

I've just learned that "voy a" is used to say "I am going to". So for example, "Voy a comer algo." means, "I am going to eat something."

Later, I was told that the more correct way to say this would be, "Voy a ir a comer algo."

Is this true? Is there a difference between the two usages?

Hi there, I'm  a native speaker, and I want to clarify that both forms are correct, but if you want to be more specific you need to use ''Voy a ir a...''.  I always say ''Voy a...'', since well, most of us are waiting to save time even when speaking, so don't worry, other Spanish speakers won't even care.