Linguaholic

Flash Cards for Vocabulary

SpringBreeze

Do you find flash cards useful when learning vocabulary? For a test I use both flash cards and the vocabulary list written in books. But I think flash cards work the best when it comes to vocabulary. But they don't work as well for grammar and sentence formation. What do you think?

• 1 year later...

In my French class, we create Quizlet cards for every set of vocabulary we are given. Everyone memorizes the vocabulary, but the vocabulary tests require that we put the words into sentences. Therefore, it's doesn't mean anything to memorize the verb 'plaire' (to please) if you don't know how it's used and how to conjugate it. I think an overdependence on rote memorization via flashcards holds a lot of my classmates back since they don't know how to use the words in conversation. Flashcards are a good way to memorize the words, but not a good way to learn them.

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to vocabulary, you have two efficient way to learn it: you read, and you write. I'm not against flash cards, but I always learnt with practice so I think it's the way to go to learn a language.
After all, you'll read all the idioms and the used words by native speakers just by reading text, watching content or listening speeches. Same goes for vocabulary, and you would get a nice bonus: you will get the vocabulary relevant and idiomatic to the environment or the community. Example, in technology, you will hear about hashtag and not only "sharp tag", even if both could be valid theoretically.

• 5 months later...

I definitely found flash cards to be a must when I studied the French & Spanish and studying on a whole. They help you to break down and highlight the most important pieces of information. When you do that, as you look at the card, you should be able to figure what that specific card is about and this will help you to grasp and memorise the information quicker. Even if you don't have ready-made ones you can make them by cutting pieces of paper and that will work just the same. All the best with your studies.B) 

• 7 months later...

Leesa, this is your final verbal warning.
We gave you more than enough freedom to spam, go off-topic and bump old topics.

The next time you do so will result in an actual warning.