Linguaholic

What are your language-related goals for 2014?

Trellum

Hello guys!  Everyone seems to be talking about resolutions and so on, well, instead of doing that and since we are on a language forum, I thought it would be nice to create a thread focused on our language goals for 2014.  So let's get this started, shall we?

I don't have a lot language goals for 2014, I think I will just focus on Dutch next year, since I might be moving there in the future.  I guess I'll try to finish the Pimsleur course (30 lessons if I recall right), then I might start checking ''Dutch for dummies'' or something like that.  I'm still not sure if I should start creating vocabulary lists or if it is too soon.  I guess I'll let thigs flow smoothly :)

I might work on improving my english if I have the time.

So those are my only language goal for 2014. What about you guys?

I don't have much either. There's really just one language that I'm focusing on next year -and it's Spanish. I plan to enroll in an online school. Spanish is already a study of mine, but I'm planning to take it to a master's degree level.

My goal is to be able to master basic conversational Japanese, since I have been in this country for 3 years and 2 months already. Together with that, I intend to polish my Nihon Shuwa (Japanese Sign Language) abilities while also able to converse in Japanese slang  :tongue:

In addition, I also plan to leave Japan and relocate to another country. I like to re-polish my Cantonese, Sinhala and when I have spare time (and spare motivation), I'd like to start memorizing the Sanskrit and Ancient Greek alphabets again.

Tis' my goals for 2014.

Happy Holidays,

Antiquarian.

That awesome, antiquarian!  You are living my best friend's dream, btw!  May I ask why you are leaving Japan?  My best friend dreams of moving there, he often talks about that.  Good luck mastering the basic conversational japanese :) My friend has been trying to learn it for a really long time, so far he has just learnt a few phrases, but not enough! Good luck with everything!  You have some really cool language goals :)

I am not really much of a resolutions person, as I believe that if I really wanted to do something, I would start it tomorrow instead of in January, however I am hoping that by next year I am somewhat fluent in Spanish, I keep up with my workout and exercise regime, as well as continue the tradition to eat clean healthy meals. 2013 has been going greatly for me, at least compares to the last few years, so I guess I would just be happy if I continued to swing that way next year, and make the best of it.

It sounds like we are on the same boat!  I'm also planning to keep on eating clean and healthy and workout.  I already do those things, but you know how easy it is to stop and how hard is to start again!  Good luck with your goals!  Keeping a healthy lifestyle is a real feat!  I know because I keep on trying and trying every day.  As for language... I think I'll be happy if I learn the basic Dutch language phrases.  My boyfriend already say we can buy a dutch language package or I can take Dutch classes.

In this new year I am looking to take my studies much more serious. I need to practice in one form or another at least a few times throughout the day if I truly want to master this new language! I really just want to become more consistent in my studies and my interest level in progressing with this new language.

My language-related goal for 2014 is to be proficient and fluent in Spanish. I aim to put in an hour a day into learning the language.

Thankfully Spanish isn't as hard as languages like Korean or Japanese, so with enough determination I'll be able to accomplish my goal by this year.

I would like to learn some more Russian. I am still a beginner in Russian and I must say that Russian is really really difficult :( Happy New Year everyone! :karate:

Hey Limbo

Thank you. I wish you a happy new year 2014 as well! Hope you will be able to get your skills in Russian  to the next level. Thank you for joining linguaholic.com! See you in the forums.

regards

lingua

I hope that in 2014 I can perfect my Spanish and my English as well, being foreign languages I need to practice and practice to keep improving them. If I do move to Spain my Spanish will take a big boost, but I am not yet certain that will happen.

My language goal for 2014 is definitely to conquer French, at least conversationally. I just started, so it's a bit daunting, but since I live in a French-speaking area, it should be a lot better. I'm just so shy about talking to people, like at the cash register, it makes me so nervous! So I'd like to get over that shyness so I can really make some improvements. I know if I can get over making mistakes, I'll learn that much faster. I'm just so embarrassed about my lack of vocabulary and my horrible accent!

Happy New Year to you too, Limbo :smile:. Well, my language-related goal for 2014 is to widen my vocabulary in Spanish so I can be more confident when communicating :doubtful:. I have alot of doubt and so there are times when I could use the language but remain reserved :speechless:.