Linguaholic

When you know someone is talking about you in their language?

Dieselfit

I know we don't know all the languages out there but there are always people who use different languages that we do not understand. Sometimes it's easy to tell what they are talking about and who. After all, communication is mostly body language and tone. What do you do when you know someone else is talking about you in their language? Maybe this happens to you at school or in a group of people.

I've probably had this happen to me long ago, but I don't mind it, especially now that I'm a little older and find myself caring less and less.  :grin: I don't mind it because it happens even with people who speak the same language as I do. People love talking about other people, and that's just the nature of things, at least with a foreign language you won't have to understand it when you hear it.

It wouldn't bother me. I'm used to being stared at so if people talk about me for a change, that would be fine by me. Reacting in any way would give those talking about you the idea that this bothers you and they'd just to annoy you, talk in the native tongue. So to avoid such and any other misunderstandings that may arise, I let it go.

I'm afraid I'm at quite a loss when knowing when someone is talking about me, even if it's in my language and I'm in earshot - that's how aloof I can be. And, then again, I really don't care. As Wilde, put it, it is better being ill-spoken of than not being spoken about at all.

Its happened to me before. Like you said, you can tell through body language and maybe if they are looking at you, or glancing. I think its a bit rude for people to talk in an unfamiliar language when there are other people around, much more if they are part of the conversation. Usually, I interrupt with a loud, "ENGLISH PLEASE!" when that happens, just to teach them some manners.

I just ignore them since there's no wrong in talking about other people. I also do that sometimes but I make sure I'm not talking bad behind their backs. I understand why they choose their native tongue, sometimes people want some privacy when talking in public.

It has happened to me, and depending of what they are saying and the context of the situation, I would either ignore it, or do something goofy like interrupt them with a witty word or two, signifying that I indeed know what's happening. I would feel uncomfortable if it's in a negative way, because I'd much rather prefer it if they didn't hide behind their native language when badmouthing me.

Well, it has happened to me in the past.  I heard some arab guys talking about me, lol, it was too obvious tho, they were looking at me and saying something to each other.  I then assumed they were talking about me, I'm guessing they were saying something obscene.  I guess because their body language pointed to that. 

I'm glad this situation didn't last too long, it was when I was walking back home some years ago.  My boyfriend was with me, but he did nothing about it. I guess it's good he didn't... he could have gotten into trouble if he had done that.

We can know if someone or a group of people are talking about us in their language maybe through their body languages, hand movements or facial expressions. :) When you catch them sneaking a glance at you then back again to the one they are talking to. :)

I can usually tell if someone is talking about me by non verbal cues and body language. I don't really worry about it. There's nothing that I can really do about it anyway. I tried not to let other people's opinions of me bother me or affect how I feel about myself.

I know we don't know all the languages out there but there are always people who use different languages that we do not understand. Sometimes it's easy to tell what they are talking about and who. After all, communication is mostly body language and tone. What do you do when you know someone else is talking about you in their language? Maybe this happens to you at school or in a group of people.

Well as for me, I listen to the words they are saying and if they are looking at me. The Chinese always do that, But we pretend as if we don't know what they are saying.

I think that the eyes tell it all. It is hard for you to talk about some one who is in the room and not once glance at them in a way that lets them know they are the subject matter. And then it is also the actions that come after such as the giggles and then the looks from all the other people who are talking about you. So it is kinda easy to tell when this is happening.