Linguaholic

Do early learning programs effect high school proficiency?

True2marie

In some countries, children are taught second languages early. So, by the time they get into high school, they only have to add onto already established knowledge.  To me, this is the best way platform for learning a language. Why?  I often see age as a deterrent to learning a foreign language.

Learning a new language as early as possible is always the best bet.  Those who start learning a language early in life seem to be more successful with future programs, sadly I never had the chance to do that.  Nowadays they are teaching english in most schools, but the quality of the program isn't good at all!

Over here the standards for english language teacher who work at public schools are really low.  Sadly that's the way it is over here.  But the high quality courses out there can do wonders for young kids.

I think so as children are generally easier to absorb new things, as their brains are developing and learning at same time. When people get older, their ability to absorb new elements begins to dwindle kind of like a computer harddrive filling up.

I once lived in a place where kids who went to school had to be taught English [as a second language] and they had to be fluent in it because the missionary teachers who taught them could only speak English. In two or three years, the kids would be almost be as good as native speakers [except for the accent].

SO, I guess teaching kids a foreign language early in life is always a good idea because when they get to high school they're already proficient in another language. . .

I do believe that the earlier  children are been introduced to a foreign language the easier it becomes for them to grasp it as they grow older.They at least get familiar with the accent and vocabulary :cool:. My children started Spanish in kindergarten and so when they got to high school they were better able to master it :amazed:.

Yes, it can definitely affect high school proficiency, because the younger you start to learn a new language, the more easily that you can adapt to it, and as you grow older it would be sharpened if you use it or practice speaking it as often as you can.