Linguaholic

Best Quote About Language

True2marie

My best quote about language is courtesy of Nelson Mandela.

If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.

Truly, an ability to talk to someone else on their own terms is a way to connect intimately.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have to say I have experienced it. My family and friends that are close to me, when they want to get close to me, they will speak in Spanish. Even if they just say the word, Burrito, I know they are trying to get a smile out of me.

My boyfriend has gone to the extend to learn to write a few words, like Good Morning, and he makes a point of texting me in Spanish. It hits right in the center each time.

I always believe in this language quote by Jodi Picoult…“In the English language there are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parents who loses a child.” In fact some words are basically windows and orphans of sentence completions but really I have never come across any parent for those words that are not accompanied in any context. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some more beautiful quotes about Language:

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see"  [by Mark Twain]

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." by [Ronald Reagan]

"Language... has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone." by [Paul Tillich]

"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people." by [William Butler Yeats]

"The limits of my language means the limits of my world." by [Ludwig Wittgenstein]

I love this quote by Maya Angelou: "I admire people who dare to take the language, English, and understand it and understand the melody." I love poetry and believe that this quote is really her telling those who study the English language that if you can find the poetry in the English language then you will truly become immersed in the beauty of the language.

• 1 year later...

My favourite is a quote from Ryszard Kapuscinski which roughly translated into English like this: "I realized that each world had its own mystery and that you can access it only by the way of the language.. <...> I realized that the more words I learn, the richer, fuller and more diverse will the world, that has opened up to me, be."