Linguaholic

How do you maintain your vocabulary that you have learned?

There are thousands and thousands words in English that I still don't know about. I don't usually go back to the ones I have learned because I cannot keep track of them. However, I do look up the meaning and study the vocabulary words again if I forget, regardless of I have already learned or not. How do you maintain your vocabulary that you've learned? Do you usually re-study them again for those you've already learned?

The best way, to me, is usage. If you are able to use the word even just once in that day or soon after, you'd have a better chance of retaining it. I don't know how much success you'd have with all words doing this, but a good enough number of new words should stick with this method. I used to look up random words too, and some of them have stuck with me with the use of this method, although admittedly I haven't really used many of them past the initial usage since they are so obscure - e.g. "asinine" meaning stupid or foolish.

I maintained my vocabulary that I had learned by  writing, reading and saying the words again and again everyday until it is stored in my mind. And sometimes I tried to use it and make a sentence with the words and phrases that I learned so that I will not forget it.

For those learning English, I'd recommend a website called https://www.vocabulary.com/. It's one of the best resources for learning, mastering and keeping track of new words you've learned. It's far much better than recording the words in some note-book and looking them up later.

The best way to mantain your vocabulary is to prevent further loss ;)  At least that's what I think.  What I do is using as many english words as possible everyday, I try not to use the same words too often; I try to push myself a little too hard sometimes so I don't start forgetting words.  So in other words: practice, practice practice!

Seriously, the old saying: ''use it or lose it'' is really true when it comes to languages and retaining knowledge in general. Finding an online partner to talk with often in english has also helped me :)

I still keep learning new words every single day by reading. As for maintaining the vocabulary I have already learned, that is simply done every time I see a word that I don't seem to remember I go back and read it again.

Besides trying to include them in my daily conversations, I do have one useful tool. I use a dictionary app that introduces a word in which I try to include several times throughout my day. I am often amazed at how many 'words' exist that are so rarely heard

I do find that the best way to maintain new vocabulary that I learnt is practice and usage :cool:. I try to place these words into whatever I write and during oral communication I use them all the time. It often sound a bit odd using them at first but I continue until it becomes normal.

It would be impossible to keep on referring to all the words you've learned in your lifetime in English because the dictionary is probably going to be very big.

I tend to surf around the internet a lot, read books and watch movies. These are pretty much the things that keep my vocabulary fresh most of the time.

I find reading a lot of diverse works helps.  This exercises different bits of the brain, and keeps things flowing.

Reading a lot of books help your vocabulary. It also give you a better understanding. You also know a lot  when you read. But it is difficult if you don't set your mind to it .