Linguaholic

Which of the Brontë sisters was a better writer?

Denis Hard

This discussion may be merely academic but let's go at it. If you've read [both books] Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights then let's talk.

Taking into account the overall effect of both stories and the feelings they left you with at the end, which of the two books would you recommend to a friend? And. . .uh, why?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I think Emily Brontë is by far the best authors out of the sisters in the family. I really like the book "Wuthering Height", which it is one of my favorite classic novels that I have ever read in school. Her writing is unique and classic, which is sometimes quite hard for me to understand but her style is very original and makes readers to attach the book to their hands at all times.

But the book is too bleak. Heathcliff character is revolting. Okay but that's my opinion. Though of course, I must admit, the book [Wuthering Heights] is well-written. However, the nature of the story[or to be specific, that kind of story] doesn't appeal much to most people. They like a fairy-tale sort of ending. . .and they lived happily ever after. Like Jane Eyre. I guess that's the only thing that makes the two books get the sort of reception they get from readers.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I've only read from Emily Bronte. I read Wuthering Heights back when I was in high school and I found it absolutely breathtaking. Her use of words are perfect in every line and her story is so beautifully arranged.

I wouldn't say Emily is better, but I would say she has an extreme amount of talent that seems very unbeatable.

I prefer Anne Brontë. I read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and it's absolutely amazing. It is a hard book not to mention it's very shocking. I also took a look on Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights but I haven't enjoyed it as much as The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

• 8 years later...

I have read all of the Bronte sisters books, some more than once . It is easy to love  Emily's wuthering heights,  as it's been adapted in film as a love story, however the novel is so much darker than any reinactments I have ever seen on screen. The characters are not particularly likeable, the setting is secluded and far  from the outside world ,and to just a few miles of moorland and there are so many questions left unanswered. It still remains a favourite with me though. My favourite Bronte book

Charlotte's Jane Eyre is a wonderful book and earned her much recognition but her writing style does not capture me as her sisters books do. She would appear to be the most famous of the siblings yet I think she wasnt as talented as Anne or Emily

Anne is always portrayed as the underdog but in my opinion her writing and creative ability far excedes her sisters. 

These are just my own thoughts and opinions and I hope you have an open mind when reading the novels of these sisters without influence, prejudice or bias from myself

On 12/17/2013 at 7:32 AM, Denis Hard said:

This discussion may be merely academic but let's go at it. If you've read [both books] Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights then let's talk.

Taking into account the overall effect of both stories and the feelings they left you with at the end, which of the two books would you recommend to a friend? And. . .uh, why?

I would recommend Wuthering Heights. It's got an ethos that is dark and raw and is so rich with unlikable characters; it makes it so irresistible and compelling to read. It's so diabolical in its despicable characters behaviours and ,  yet so innocent in the purity of their being. It has a feel of harsh living and tender loving 

On 12/23/2013 at 8:47 AM, pandandesign said:

I think Emily Brontë is by far the best authors out of the sisters in the family. I really like the book "Wuthering Height", which it is one of my favorite classic novels that I have ever read in school. Her writing is unique and classic, which is sometimes quite hard for me to understand but her style is very original and makes readers to attach the book to their hands at all times.

On 12/17/2013 at 7:32 AM, Denis Hard said:

I have read all of the books written by the Bronte sisters and I've enjoyed and appreciated all of them. 

I will start by saying that my favourite book is Emily's 'Wuthering Heights  However; this is not an indication that she is my favourite writer.  I will allow that the story is intriguing, raw with passion and full of violence and complex charators but..... 

Anne's style of writing and story telling is in my opinion , so much more cultured and relevant in todays society.For me, by far she is the most articulate writer.  

Charlotte, although thought of as the most famous of the Bronte sisters, I feel is the least talented writer. Credit given to her incredible stories but they could have been given more finesse by a more accomplished hand

These are all my opinions and I do not wish to offend anyone with my views