Linguaholic

The most suitable language for swearing ?

linguaholic

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm not sure about the best-sounding language for swearing, but the most suitable with probably be any other than the language spoken at the place you're at. Unless, of course you're not just venting and actually want something to occur out of the swearing - in that case make it inteligible.

As for quantity and quality, I can only judge on the languages I know best. From those I think English just takes the biscuit - there is just a lot more variety to it, and also a great freedom to combine words into new ones that just isn't possible in Portuguese.

Maybe I should reformulate the question, as it seems that "most suitable" was a little bit misleading here hehe :=) Still, it is also interesting to hear your opinion about the most suitable language for swearing. However, my intention was to ask about the language, which has the richest (best) vocabulary when it comes to swearing  :angel:

Oh man, I'm not proud to admit this, but some of the most common cursing words in Dutch are diseases. It's frowned upon, but most young people (from certain areas) curse with words like cancer all the time. It's horrible and a lot of people are disgusted by it, but it happens all the time.

And besides the diseases (we use a lot of them as curse words) we pretty much curse with anything that's even remotely negative.

Dutch sucks haha.

Ahah, it's hard to say, I suppose the best language for us to curse must always be our native language, for me there's no language to curse like Portuguese. Sure, I find entertaining the English curse words lol, especially when translated to my language, a**hole for example!  :grin:

Polish is nice for that, especially compared to English. We have many swear words and they're just so expressive and possible to use in many forms.

Of course, maybe it's just my subjective feeling, since that's the language that I use most often for swearing... :tongue:

Italian, hands down! Portuguese is a close second. I'd think German would also sound rather frightening when yelling out insults at someone.  :laugh:

Ahah, it's hard to say, I suppose the best language for us to curse must always be our native language, for me there's no language to curse like Portuguese. Sure, I find entertaining the English curse words lol, especially when translated to my language, a**hole for example!  :grin:

I agree, rude English words sound really funny to me if I think about them or translate them. I especially love the fact that you can combine them so well to come up with a huge array of 'em.

I don't want to brag here, but I really think my language is the best for that (I have no reason to brag, I'm actually ashamed my language is great for swearing). I'm from Mexico, here in Mexico we speak a spanish that is really good for swearing!  Believe me!  A lot foreigners have told me that ;)  We have a word for everything!!!

You can basically swear on anything or anyone.  I personally think the spanish spoken in Mexico is extremely vulgar :P  I hate that!  I actually avoid swearing as much as possible, simply because I don't really like to swear. I only do it when I'm really mad tho! 

But I swear most young people over here swear too much, and use a very vulgar language.  Ugh, the other day I was at the movies, a girl behind me was openly talking with her male friend about her first pap test.  Gosh, she was so vulgar!!  She was discussing a very inappropiate topic in a public place, but not only that... she used a collection with the most vulgar words you can ever imagine.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I actually learned a lot reading through the responses to this question, and I think it is a rather interesting topic. I was thinking that German would be the best language to curse in, as it sounds harsh when it is spoken and you could probably say something completely innocent in a mean voice, and it would sound like cursing.

I think the most satisfying language to curse in would be one in which the other person had no clue what you were saying. I enjoyed being creative with my words when I was learning French; I was not aware that Mexican Spanish was so expressive and vulgar, so that might be an interesting language to curse in if I knew the words! Regardless of which language you swear in, though, it's probably always best to use caution, as you don't know who around you can understand you!

Well, I speak Australian English...we have a very "colourful" vocabulary. I guess that's what you get when the first generation of people in your country were all criminals!

Finnish is also quite expressive with its swear words. I won't post anything here, but for those who are interested can check out the article about it on Wikipedia (probably NSFW). The last entry is a word I heard a few times a day when I was in Finland last month.

The most suitable language for swearing in my opinion is in whatever language the person you're swearing at can understand. No point in swearing in a language no one can understand. Unless, you're swearing to let off steam instead of really scolding the person that is.

The most suitable language for swearing is your native language. There is no better feeling like swearing in your own language.

Somehow swearing in a foreign language, it does not feel the same.

Funniest languages for swearing - maybe German or Chinese. They sound very funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: cursing in Japanese, I studied in Osaka and speak colloquial Japanese with a slight Osakan accent, which is though of as unsophisticated by the far more cultured Tokyoites. Swearing in that accent can be particularly fun, though most of my interactions lately with Japanese people have required a little more politeness...

In Japanese you don't "swear" so much as you speak impolitely with (it's hard to explain, but) a particular tone of voice that makes it clear. Politeness is a big deal in Japanese culture, so speaking in a way that isn't polite to someone you're meant to be more polite to is insulting in itself, but add the tone and there's no ambiguity. The dialects spoken in western Japan (incl. Kyoto, Osaka and [sorta] Hiroshima) are more expressive than the Tokyo (standard) dialect to begin with, so swearing in that accent is just that little bit more entertaining.

I'd say both Spanish and English seem pretty great for swearing! Come on, when you say hijo de p*** in Spanish or a**h*** in English, it doesn't get much worse than that, it's a big aggressiveness in the tone and words, strong stuff! :)

I am not one to swear but I have heard a couple in other languages and I doubt any would surpass my second language. Jamaican Creole to me is most suitable for swearing. There are some quite impressive expressions in that language which can be both very disturbing and disgusting.

Some great responses on here.  I have to agree that German seems to sound like you are really getting cursed out well.  I do also agree that Italian is another, but it is more musical on the ears even though the message may not be.