Linguaholic

Spanish Newspapers

Lola

When I go to visit my mom, her town often has a variety of newspapers and such in Spanish. I was thinking about grabbing some, to get a feel for reading Spanish. Maybe even cut out sections to practice translating. Has anyone tried this? I just think I am a visual person and I like to mix up my learning techniques. Do you think there would be a lot of errors grammar wise? I would hate to learn one way and find out I had something terribly wrong!

When I was learning English, I read a lot of newspapers and it was really helpful. I think that method would also be useful if you are learning Spanish. Just try to get major newspapers, as local newspapers may have lots of grammatical mistakes (at least that is the case in Mexico).

What Spanish newspapers do you recommend? I would love to hear about the most popular Spanish newspapers. I am really a newbie when it comes to Spanish and knowledge about Spanish Newspapers. I would be glad if you could help me out here.

There's basically an infinite amount of material on the internet. :)  You can just type in "google noticias" to get a look at a wide range of different articles on different subjects from Google's news pages in Spanish. Google news in Spanish has pages for different Spanish-speaking countries like Spain, Mexico, and Peru.

Reading is a wonderful thing to do to learn a foreign language because it allows you to achieve an enormous amount of meaningful contact with the language in a really convenient way. If you enjoy reading, definitely read as much as you can in the target language whether it's news, novels, comics, commercials, or whatever.

There's basically an infinite amount of material on the internet. :)  You can just type in "google noticias" to get a look at a wide range of different articles on different subjects from Google's news pages in Spanish. Google news in Spanish has pages for different Spanish-speaking countries like Spain, Mexico, and Peru.

Reading is a wonderful thing to do to learn a foreign language because it allows you to achieve an enormous amount of meaningful contact with the language in a really convenient way. If you enjoy reading, definitely read as much as you can in the target language whether it's news, novels, comics, commercials, or whatever.

Wow, thank you for this! I'm probably not at a level where I should be reading newspapers, since they're probably too difficult to understand, but I'll probably recognize some words and learn new ones by looking them up in my dictionary!

I think this is a very useful way to learn Spanish. As for errors, don't worry about it. You're still in the learning stage. If you want, you can take some Spanish classes so that you can learn basic grammar rules. But there's no need to perfect your Spanish right now. As for me, I love translating ads. They are short, they have pictures, and it's just plain fun. :)

• 2 years later...

Actually, in a neighboring town, I worked at a convenience store and I got a few copies of an all Spanish newspaper.  I can't remember the name of it now.  I want to say the word "luz" was in the title, though.  It's been over a decade and I don't live there anymore.  I would get them, but my mother-in-law didn't realize what they were.  She didn't read it, she just saw newspapers and used them to train her new puppies.