Linguaholic

How much does body language effect your ability to communicate?

True2marie

Whether you are speaking a foreign language or your native language, it seems that body language is key. The way you move your hands, cock your neck or stand can effect the manner in which words come across to someone else.  With this in mind, how much does body language effect your ability to communicate?

It's all about the body language to me!  It's amazing how easy is to understand someone who knows how to effectively communicate using body language, even if the person doesn't speak the same language you do. A big percentage of communication involves body language.

I really think most people should give body language way more importance... to the point of making it a real skill.  Actually... you can know more about a person's true intentions and feeling by paying a very close attention to his/her body language.  Remember... words can be deceiving... but body language can't! Since some body language movements are completely involuntary... like the ones on your face when you lie about something.

Body language is actually way bigger than most people care to give it credit for. I've found it that martial communication effects the moods and flows of a conversation between two people immensely, without them even realizing it. I would recommend to anyone to go right ahead and learn more about it, confident poses, gestures etc. If you manage to combine it well with your acquired linguistic expression skills, it will enhance your interaction with people a lot.

Well, I think that for the most part, body language says a lot more than words can, but some people are really good in faking their body language. I think that I don't use body language that much to communicate what I say because I tend to talk more, but sometimes it does betray what I'm really thinking despite my best efforts to hide it.

It all depends on the time and place. If you are in a dark or dimly lit place [like some pubs I've been in] body language is practically of no value there. IMO, the tone of your voice you use is more effective in communicating your feelings.

• 1 month later...

Body language plays a big part in how we communicate. Our gestures and facial expressions sometimes says more than our spoken language. I sometimes find myself being over-expressive in my body language in order to get someone to understand what I really want to say. I think that without it some people would vaguely be understood.

I think it does, to a point.

If you're trying to communicate with someone who speaks another language and you're not getting your point across, gestures help a lot. However, some people simply talk with their hands. My mother, talks with her hands and when you watch her hands they don't really follow what she's saying. She's pointing forward when she is talking about something going backwards. It's actually more comical than helpful.

For me, the amount of body language I use directly relates to how I feel. If I'm not feeling well, I tend to fold my arms and appear closed off. I can still get my point across when I need to though.

My second language is Japanese. Japanese people have very different body language than English speakers, I feel. I've spent a lot of time with Japanese people so I start unconsciously using a lot of their gestures and postures when speaking Japanese.

If one wanted to work in Japan, it would be really important to learn body language. During interviews, for example, a typical Westerner's body language would come across as disrespectful and cocky. Japanese make a lot less eye contact, bow a lot (obviously), and keep their hands crossed or flat on their legs when sitting down in a formal setting.

Yes. Body language a very good way of communicating specially with people who cannot understand the language that you are speaking. More and more people are deciphering the code of body language a language worth using.

Good question, I don't think I ever noticed my body language... Probably I'll have a more effusive body language in more informal environments and when I am more nervous or excited, but I don't know up to what point or extent the body language will make me communicate better, probably worse if I am more nervous.

I feel more articulate when my body language matches what I say.  I feel more liberated because it makes me feel that I express whatever I want. 

With this, I make sure that I am careful with certain body languages that might give off a negative impression. 

I think body language plays a huge role in communication. Your posture, face, hands, etc can say a lot in a conversation, even when the person you're speaking to doesn't speak the same language as you. And of course, when gesturing it's nice to be able to signal to help convey your message.

Though you have to be careful sometimes with body language, a hand signal in one culture can mean a totally different thing in a different culture.

Actions speak louder than words so body language is definitely effective. It has been a form of communication ever since though. When I am in a foreign country, I use a lot of body language to communicate if they can't speak english.

I think it helps a lot but it shouldn't be entirely necessary. Personally, I think knowing the language well enough should do the trick. What I'd consider more important would be the tone when using another language, since different cultures will tend to use tone in communication differently and if the other person is not used to your particular tone he or she might misconstrue your message.